Tendulkar, Zaheer rested; Nehra back after four yearsJune 17th, 2009 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 17 (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan have been rested while left-arm pacer Ashish Nehra has returned to the India squad for the four one-dayers in the West Indies.
The 16-member squad was announced Wednesday after a teleconference between chairman of selectors Krishnamachari Srikkanth, his colleague Raja Venkat, coach Gary Kirsten and skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who were in England, and other three selectors Yashpal Sharma, Narendra Hirwani and Surendra Bhave who assembled at the Cricket Centre in Mumbai. Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India N. Srinivasan convened the meeting from England.
Nehra was rewarded for his impressive showing for Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL) in South Africa. He was the third highest wicket-taker with 19 wickets from 13 matches.
The only new face in the squad is Mumbai all-rounder Abhishek Nayar, a consistent performer in domestic cricket who narrowly failed to make it to the World Twenty20.
Zaheer, 30, who had taken a huge workload by spearheading the bowling attack in the last three months, was rested while Tendulkar, 36, also sought rest because of a finger injury.
Suresh Raina and Irfan Pathan, who were in the squad for the World Twenty20, were not considered. Raina fractured his thumb during the World Twenty20 and was advised two weeks’ rest while Pathan failed to impress the selectors.
Munaf Patel, who was in all the three squads on the tour of New Zealand in March-April, gave way to Rudra Pratap Singh, the highest wicket-taker for champion Deccan Chargers in the IPL.
In place of Tendulkar and injured Virender Sehwag, the selectors picked two Tamil Nadu batsmen Murali Vijay and Subramaniam Badrinath.
Dinesh Karthik, who was in all three squads in New Zealand, retained his place as in-form batsman and second wicketkeeper after his consistent batting for Delhi Daredevils in the middle order.
In West Indies, the first two matches will be played in Kingston June 26 and 28, while Gros Islet hosts the last two July 3 and 5.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain/wicketkeeper), Yuvraj Singh (vice-captain), Gautam Gambhir, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan Singh, Pragyan Ojha, Yusuf Pathan, Murali Vijay, S. Badrinath, R.P. Singh, Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Abhishek Nayar, Ashish Nehra and Ravindra Jadeja.
- Indian cricket team leaves for West Indies - Jun 01, 2011
- Vinay in, Ishant and Kohli miss out on T20 World Cup - Mar 26, 2010
- Gambhir to lead in T20, ODIs in absence of Dhoni (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Srikanth, selectors in Chennai to select India's World Cup 2011 team - Jan 17, 2011
- World Cup probables announced - Dec 18, 2010
- Vinay Kumar lone new face in T20 World Cup squad (Lead) - Mar 26, 2010
- Selectors announce 15-member India squad for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- South Africa to bat first - Jan 12, 2011
- Lanka tri-series: Tendulkar, Gambhir Bhajji rested, Yuvraj recalled - Jul 31, 2010
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- This is how 10 teams shape up for IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Seniors rested for Zimbabwe tour, Raina to lead - May 09, 2010
- Gambhir named captain for West Indies ODI series - May 13, 2011
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- This is how the IPL teams will look - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: badrinath, consistent performer, cricket centre, dhoni, dinesh karthik, domestic cricket, finger injury, gary kirsten, irfan pathan, member squad, nehra, raina, rudra pratap singh, sachin tendulkar, tamil nadu, venkat, virender sehwag, wicket taker, wicketkeeper, zaheer khan