Tendulkar subcontinent’s best batsman: Pakistani dailyMarch 18th, 2012 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 18 (IANS) India lost their match to Bangladesh in the Asia Cup, but the occasion was made highly special by the subcontinent’s “best batsman” Sachin Tendulkar who notched up his 100th international century, a leading Pakistani daily said Sunday.”There are few records, barring Don Bradman’s astonishing Test average of nearly 100 runs per innings, that Tendulkar does not hold,” the Dawn said in an editorial.
Tendulkar “complemented his monumental natural gift” with hard work and a “superb understanding” of the game to become “the best batsman the subcontinent, if not the world, has ever produced”.
“Bangladesh may have rained on India’s parade with a highly unlikely win in the Asia Cup but the occasion was still special for the visiting team. Dhaka witnessed a historic moment in cricketing history on Friday when Indian supremo Sachin Tendulkar, the Little Master, finally notched up his 100th international century encompassing both Tests and One-Day Internationals,” the editorial said.
He was one of the youngest cricketers to make his international debut, against Pakistan at the age of just 16 in November 1989 in Karachi.
“Unlike some other promising players of the 1980s and 1990s, his immense talent did not prove to be short-lived,” the daily said.
“Brilliant” with the bat and “also handy” with the ball, the daily regretted that Tendulkar “does not turn his arm over much these days”.
It said cricket fans across the world acknowledge that Tendulkar is a true maestro, “a man blessed with not just amazing talent but also a sporting spirit that adds lustre to the game”.
- 'Tendulkar's achievements surpass those of Bradman' - Mar 31, 2011
- Tendulkar "a beacon of greatness representing true spirit of cricket": Pak editorial - Dec 21, 2010
- Tendulkar rubbishes retirement speculations: Reports - Mar 10, 2012
- Sachin Tendulkar: A diminutive man and colossal cricketer (Profile) - Mar 16, 2012
- Lara calls Tendulkar 'Bradman of this era' - Nov 30, 2010
- Tendulkar meets Sonia amid possibility of Rajya Sabha nomination - Apr 26, 2012
- PM congratulates Tendulkar on 100th international ton - Mar 16, 2012
- Tendulkar would be happy to see an Indian break his record (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Sachin should keep going: Time - Mar 18, 2012
- Kudos to Sachin's hundred 100s: B-Town - Mar 16, 2012
- Will carry on as long as I enjoy my game: Tendulkar (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Bangladesh spoils Tendulkar's 100th international ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Birthday boy Tendulkar releases book on his 100th ton - Apr 24, 2012
- Ian Chappell says Lara better than Ponting and Tendulkar - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: 1980s, 1990s, asia cup, bangladesh, batsman, cricket fans, cricketers, dawn, don bradman, immense talent, international debut, islamabad, karachi, lustre, maestro, match, pakistan, promising players, subcontinent, test average