Tendulkar says no to politics after RS nomination (Lead)May 1st, 2012 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, May 1 (IANS) Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar Tuesday broke his silence over his Rajya Sabha nomination, saying he was honoured by the Indian government’s offer but he would always remain a sportsman and not a politician.
“It is an honour when the President nominates your name. I was excited to be nominated,” Tendulkar said at a ceremony here where he was felicitated for making 100 international hundreds.
The 39-year-old acknowledged that he was honoured for his outstanding contribution to cricket and said he will try his best to improve the standard of all sports in the country.
“I would definitely like to contribute in the field of sports because that is my expertise and I will need your (fans) help.”
“I believe President (Pratibha Patil) has chosen me after recognising what I have done for over 22 years,” he said referring to greats in other fields like singer Lata Mangeshkar and actor Prithviraj Kapoor.
The batting legend’s entry into Rajya Sabha has evoked mixed reactions with some raising concerns whether Tendulkar will be able to give time to the high-profile job while playing for India.
Tendulkar, who was also given the honorary rank of Group Captain in the Indian Air Force in 2010, was nominated by the government for a seat in the upper house of parliament last week alongside actress Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
Asked what keeps him going despite two-decades in international cricket, Tendulkar said: “I am passionate about cricket. Cricket is my life. Keep praying for me so that I can derive strength from it.”
- Sachin says honoured by RS seat, but no politics - May 01, 2012
- President approves nomination of Sachin, Rekha to Rajya Sabha - Apr 26, 2012
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rekha's Rajya Sabha nomination no ordinary achievement: Mahesh Bhatt - Apr 27, 2012
- Court clears Tendulkar's oath-taking in Rajya Sabha - May 16, 2012
- SC dismiss petition against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination - May 14, 2012
- Plea against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination dismissed (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sachin enters Rajya Sabha, wants to help sports (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Three cheers for Sachin, Rekha: Bollywood - Apr 27, 2012
- Mumbaikars' mixed reactions to Sachin's Rajya Sabha nomination - Apr 26, 2012
- Lata felicitated on father's death anniversary - Apr 25, 2011
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha - May 15, 2012
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Sachin's Rajya Sabha entry evokes mixed reactions - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: 22 years, actor prithviraj, actress rekha, aga, cricket cricket, group captain, house of parliament, indian air force, indian government, industrialist, international cricket, master blaster, mixed reactions, president pratibha patil, prithviraj kapoor, pune, rajya sabha, sachin tendulkar, sportsman, upper house of parliament