Tendulkar is leading run-scorer in World Cup (Statistics, World Cup Countdown)February 8th, 2011 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has notched up many records during the five World Cups he has played spanning over two decades. Tendulkar will be making his sixth World Cup appearance, the most by any player, in the mega event beginning Feb 19.In 36 matches, Tendulkar has amassed 1796 runs at an average of 57.93 and tops the list of leading run-scorers in the World Cup. He has four hundreds and 13 half-centuries.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting, who led his team to two successive World Cup triumphs in 2003 and 2007, is second in the list with 1537 runs in 39 matches (average 48.03). Former West Indies captain Brian Lara is third with 1225 runs at an average of 42.24.
Retired Australian opener Adam Gilchrist has the highest strike rate of 98.01 followed by former Sri Lankan opener Sanath Jayasuriya (90.66) and Tendulkar (88.21).
Tendulkar also holds the distinction of scoring maximum runs in one World Cup, that came in the 2003 mega event in South Africa piling up 673 runs. India reached the final in that edition, but lost to Australia.
Matthew Hayden is second with 659 runs in the previous World Cup in West Indies.
Tendulkar also occupies the fifth place in that list on account of his 523 runs in 1996 World Cup in the subcontinent.
Tendulkar is third in the list of most centuries cracked, sharing the space with Sourav Ganguly, Mark Waugh and Ponting, who all have four hundreds.
Ganguly, however, tops the list having scored four hundreds in 21 innings, Tendulkar is third (35 innings) after Waugh (22 innings).
- McGrath has most World Cup records (Statistics, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
- 'It's great to have Ponting back for World Cup,' says Clarke - Feb 12, 2011
- Sachin becomes first to score 2000 runs in World Cups (Match highlights) - Mar 10, 2011
- Tendulkar slams record fifth World Cup century - Feb 27, 2011
- Ponting first World Cup captain to score 1,000 runs - Mar 14, 2011
- 'Ponting contemplating retirement from ODIs' - Feb 20, 2012
- Yuvraj first to get three Man of Match awards in 2011 World Cup (Statistics) - Mar 21, 2011
- Rahul Dravid, a gentleman-cricketer to the core (Profile) - Mar 09, 2012
- Ponting concedes he has played his last ODI - Feb 21, 2012
- Kohli first Indian to hit century on World Cup debut (Statistical Highlights) - Feb 20, 2011
- Sehwag smashes 22nd Test ton, Dravid 30th (Ahmedabad Test highlights) - Nov 04, 2010
- Calls for Ponting's retirement grow stronger - Nov 20, 2011
- (VM) India record maiden World Cup semifinal victory at home (Statistical highlights) - Mar 31, 2011
- Career highlights of Rahul Dravid - Mar 09, 2012
- Sehwag sixth India batsman to score 1,000 runs against Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: adam gilchrist, australian captain, brian lara, captain brian, captain ricky ponting, cup triumphs, jayasuriya, mark waugh, matthew hayden, sachin tendulkar, sanath jayasuriya, sixth world cup, sourav ganguly, sri lankan, subcontinent, west indies, world cup appearance, world cup countdown, world cup statistics, world cups