Tendulkar, Dhoni keep India afloat at Centurion (Tea report)December 19th, 2010 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Centurion, Dec 19 (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar and Mahendra Singh Dhoni cracked half centuries to keep India afloat at tea on the fourth day of the first Test against South Africa here Sunday.At tea, India reached 394 for six with Tendulkar (80) and Dhoni (72) raising an an unbeaten 117-run partnership. India still trail by 90 runs in their second innings.
India lost four wickets in the morning session and defeat was looming large, but Dhoni led the fight back with a counter-attacking knock while Tendulkar remained solid at the other end.
Dhoni hit 12 fours in 72 balls, while Tendulkar stroked 10 fours and looked poised to score his 50th Test century.
Dhoni raced to his half-century in 40 balls with the help of nine fours.
Earlier, South Africa tightened the noose around India, reducing the visitors to 277 for six at lunch.
Resuming at 190 for two, India lost night watchman Ishant Sharma to Dale Steyn at the score of 214.
Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, who was looking good to play a long innings, added 28 runs before the latter edged a Morne Morkel delivery and wicketkeeper Mark Boucher pouched the catch safely.
Left-arm seamer Lonwabo Tsotsobe removed VVS Laxman, who gave a thick edge to the AB de Villiers at gully.
Suresh Raina was the next to go, snared by Kallis.
- Tendulkar's 50th Test ton halts Proteas victory march (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- South Africa tighten noose around India (Luch report) - Dec 19, 2010
- India lose Sehwag, Dravid early against South Africa (Tea Report) - Jan 03, 2011
- Gambhir, Tendulkar lead India's fight-back against South Africa (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- India 394/6 at tea against South Africa - Dec 19, 2010
- India in dire straits against South Africa (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Gambhir helps India secure a draw in third Test, India level series (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2011
- Sreesanth takes five, Kallis frustrates India with a century (Lunch report) - Jan 03, 2011
- Adelaide Test: Kohli hunts for ton but Australia in control (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Tendulkar, Steyn shine on day 3, series decider hangs in balance (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Steyn's 4-36 reduces India to 168/6 (Tea report) - Dec 26, 2010
- Rains leave Bridgetown Test hang in balance (Roundup) - Jun 30, 2011
- India lose openers early, trail Australia by 234 (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- India struggling to save follow-on in Adelaide Test (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- South Africa need another 233 runs to win (Tea Report) - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,