Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20July 19th, 2012 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), July 19 (IANS/CMC) Temperamental left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn has inched his way even closer to a senior team recall after being named in a provisional 30-man West Indies squad for the ICC World Twenty20 Championship in September.
The 30-year-old Benn has been exiled from the senior squad for over a year following disciplinary problems during last year’s World Cup on the Asian subcontinent, reports CMC.
His spell in the wilderness ended last month when he was picked for West Indies A’s Twenty20 doubleheader against the touring India A in Trinidad.
The gangling Benn, who stands six-feet, seven-inches, was the regional side’s frontline spinner up until the World Cup.
He picked up 12 wickets in six games at the World Cup before being dropped for right-arm leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo.
Benn is one of several spinners named in the list released Wednesday along with fellow left-arm spinners Nikita Miller and Garey Mathurin; leg-spinners Bishoo and Samuel Badree and off-spinners Sunil Narine and Shane Shillingford.
Fast bowler Tino Best, who has not been a part of the T20 set up, is among the squad.
There are no major surprises with the core of the current limited-overs team included.
The squad would be trimmed to 15 players next month.
The World T20 Championship runs from Sep 18 to Oct 7 in Sri Lanka where West Indies play alongside Australia and Ireland in Zone B.
The provisional squad:
Darren Sammy, Samuel Badree, Christopher Barnwell, Carlton Baugh Jr, Sulieman Benn. Tino Best, Devendra Bishoo, Nkrumah Bonner, Carlos Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Johnson Charles, Fidel Edwards, Chris Gayle, Danza Hyatt, Garey Mathurin, Nikita Miller, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Krishmar Santokie, Shane Shillingford, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Devon Thomas
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Sulieman Benn picked for Twenty20 matches against India A - Jun 22, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Depleted Windies aim to punch up England in first T20I - Sep 23, 2011
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- India A dismissed for 190 in first one-dayer - Jun 28, 2012
- Barath returns to Windies squad for final ODIs - Mar 22, 2012
- Windies switching gears for Twenty20 series against Australia - Mar 27, 2012
- Surprise call for Mathurin in West Indies squad - Sep 19, 2011
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
- England opt to bat against West Indies - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: asian subcontinent, baugh, benn, brathwaite, chris gayle, denesh ramdin, devon thomas, disciplinary problems, dwayne bravo, dwayne smith, fidel edwards, icc world twenty20, kemar, kieron, lendl, marlon samuels, mathurin, narine, nkrumah, ravi rampaul