Team Britain given tough football draw in OlympicsApril 25th, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 25 (IANS) The British men’s football team has been handed out a tough draw in the 2012 London Games.
Britain have been clubbed with African giants Senegal, reigning Copa America champions Uruguay and the United Arab Emirates in Group A.
“I wouldn’t dismiss anyone in the group… with the addition of three over-age players, it can really contribute to a strong side,” Britain coach Stuart Pearce was quoted as saying by The Sun.
“It will be tough, it always is, that’s tournament football. We’ll be looking forward to it and I’m sure our boys who are representing Great Britain will be looking forward to a tough tournament but an enjoyable one,” said Pearce.
Spain, reigning World and European champions, are in a relatively easy group with Japan, Honduras and Morocco. Brazil will face competition from Egypt for the top spot in Group C. The top two teams from each group will progress to the knockout stages.
Following is the draw made Tuesday at Wembley, England for the group stage:
Group A - Britain, Senegal, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay
Group B - Mexico, South Korea, Gabon, Switzerland
Group C - Brazil, Egypt, Belarus, New Zealand
Group D - Spain, Japan, Honduras, Morocco
Group E - Britain, New Zealand, Cameroon, Brazil
Group F - Japan, Canada, Sweden, South Africa
Group G - United States, France, Colombia, DPR Korea
- Beckham left out of Britain's Olympic squad - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympic Football: Spain knocked out after loss to Honduras - Jul 30, 2012
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Brazil, Spain, Britain seeded in Olympic football - Apr 24, 2012
- Beckham backs Giggs as Britain Olympic team's skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- No favourites at London Olympics: Uruguayan football coach - Jul 10, 2012
- Olympics: Menezes warns Brazil about complacency against Honduras - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic football: Menezes refutes Brazil gold medal pressure - Aug 06, 2012
- Portugal need to learn from mistakes: coach Queiroz - Jun 28, 2010
- World Cup despair for South Africa, joy for Italy - Dec 05, 2009
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- FIFA confirms seeded teams for World Cup draw - Dec 02, 2009
- Draw for 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa - Dec 05, 2009
- Uruguay hoping for a repeat of history (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
Tags: africa group, british men, copa america champions, dpr korea, european champions, football team, group stage, knockout stages, london games, men group, mexico south, south korea, spain japan, strong side, stuart pearce, team britain, united arab emirates, wembley, women group, zealand group