Tamil Nadu lift Vijay Hazare Trophy for third timeMarch 9th, 2009 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Sujit Chakraborty
Agartala, March 9 (IANS) Riding on a superb 118 by opener Abhinav Mukund, Tamil Nadu Monday lifted the Vijay Hazare Trophy, defeating strong contenders Bengal by 66 runs at the Maharaja Bir Bikram Stadium here Monday.
It was Tamil Nadu’s third trophy having won it in 2002-03 and 2004-05. It was Bengal’s second loss in a row.
Electing to bat first, Tamil Nadu scored 284 for the loss six wickets in the allotted 50 overs before bundling out Bengal for 218 in the 46th over.
Mukund’s innings came off 140 balls and included twelve boundaries and a six. His hundred was well backed by all-rounder S. Suresh Kumar who hit four sixes and a four in his quick-fire 41 off 18 balls. To cap a brilliant effort, Suresh also took vital wicket of Ashoke Dinda.
Bengal bowlers failed to get any assistance off a featherbed as Tamil Nadu batsmen opened the flood gates.
For Bengal, Dinda picked three wickets for 52 but did not get support from his team mates.
Though Manoj Tiwari and wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha contributed 76 and 31 respectively to raise a flicker of hope for Bengal but, they failed to get their team mates’ backing.
Tiwari’s 76 came from 86 balls and included seven fours. Skipper Laxmi Ratan Sukhla made 26 before being run out.
Tamil Nadu’s Sudesh Rajagopala and R. Ashwin ran through the Bengal batting line-up taking three wickets each.
“Both of our batmsmen and bowlers played well. The performance of Abhinav Mukund was excellent all through. The wicket was ideal to bat and our players use it to perfection,” Ashwin said.
Bengal captain Laxmi Ratan Sukhla said the team failed to deliver the goods. “We could not play like Tamil Nadu. Except Tiwari and Dinda, others could not do much.”
- Ranji Trophy: Mukund puts Tamil Nadu in strong position - Dec 13, 2011
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: Dinda's fifer takes Bengal to semis - Mar 06, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Mukund's double ton takes Tamil Nadu to 693/8 - Dec 14, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi fight back, Tamil Nadu take big lead (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Ranji Trophy: Tamil Nadu in position of strength - Dec 16, 2010
- Keen tussle expected in opening round of Ranji Trophy (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- An exciting fare on the cards as Delhi takes on Bengal - Oct 31, 2010
- Tamil Nadu draw Bengal in Ranji Trophy - Dec 04, 2010
- Bengal spinners disappoint as Railways take control - Dec 16, 2010
- Tamil Nadu's Mukund, Badrinath hit centuries against Railways - Nov 25, 2010
- Ranji Trophy scoreboard: Tamil Nadu vs Gujarat - Dec 16, 2010
- Rajasthan in driver's seat in Ranji Trophy final - Jan 22, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi take slender lead against MP - Dec 07, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Tiwary, Pandey, Menaria slam double hundreds - Nov 18, 2011
- Ranji Trophy scoreboard: Bengal vs. Railways, Second Day - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: ashwin, bengal, bowlers, chakraborty, dinda, featherbed, flicker, flood gates, maharaja, mukund, rounder, s suresh, saha, sixes, sudesh, suresh kumar, team mates, vijay hazare, wicket keeper, wickets