Talukdar wins world cup archery bronze on final dayJune 7th, 2009 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 7 (IANS) Indian ace Jayanta Talukdar picked up a bronze in the individual recurve section of stage III World Cup archery at Antalya in Turkey Sunday.
The sixth-seeded Indian overcame two ends of poor shooting to subdue 24th ranked Italian Amedeo Tonelli 106-101, thereby enabling his country to end the tournament with one silver (men’s recurve team) and two bronze medals (Talukdar and women’s recurve team).
The two Indian giant-killers, Kapil and Rimil Biruly, who eliminated reigning world champions Im Dong Hyun of Korea and Natalia Valeeva of Italy respectively in the earlier rounds of the recurve division, came a cropper in the quarterfinals. Kapil lost to Tonelli 102-108 and Rimil went out to fifth-ranked Ruyu Ouyang of China 104-109.
Talukdar progressed to semifinals by beating 14th seeded Bair Badenov of Russia 109-105 but lost to eventual gold medallist Simon Terry of Great Britain 107-112.
The Indian recurve pair of Rahul Banerjee and Reena Kumari, who made it to the knockout stage of the mixed pair event, lost to the top-seeded Korean pair of Im Dong Hyun and Ji Ye Kwak 130-141 and again lost 140-147 to the Russian pair in the play off for bronze medal.
- Indians on a song in archery World Cup - Jun 05, 2009
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Archery World Cup: Indian men win gold, Deepika settles for silver - Sep 04, 2010
- Disappointing show by Indian archers in individual category - Aug 07, 2009
- Deepika wins gold in world youth archery - Aug 28, 2011
- World archery championship - Indian recurve women disappoint - Sep 03, 2009
- Asian Games archery: Deepika loses bronze play-off (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- Asian Grand Prix: Five Indian archers in medal race - May 24, 2009
- Archery World Cup: Dola, Reena compete for lone bronze medal - Apr 04, 2009
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian teams make early exit - Aug 08, 2009
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- CWG: Archer Rahul Banerjee wins 27th gold for India - Oct 10, 2010
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
Tags: amedeo, antalya, archery, banerjee, bronze medal, bronze medals, cropper, giant killers, gold medallist, kapil, knockout stage, kwak, natalia valeeva, ouyang, quarterfinals, rahul, reena kumari, russian pair, stage iii, world champions