Talukdar misses World Cup final berth by a whiskerJune 26th, 2008 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 26 (IANS) India’s Jayanta Talukdar narrowly missed a berth for the World Cup grand finale at Lausanne in Switzerland after losing a quarter-final battle in the men’s recurve individual Olympic round at the fourth Meteksan World Cup archery at Boe in France. Talukdar’s quarterfinal loss earned him a minimum of 10 points to take his overall tally to 41 from the four Meteksan World Cups.
However, as per FITA rules, three best scores at the World Cups are calculated in deciding the four participants in the grand finale. Thus Talukdar finished fifth, behind two Koreans Im Dong Hyun and Park Kyung Mo, and Ukrainian Viktor Ruban and Frenchman Romain Girouille.
Talukdar carded a total of 38, taking his three best World Cup scores into account, after the World Cup legs.
Rahul Banerjee finished outside the top 16.
Sixth-seeded Talukdar lost to lower Xue Hai Feng of China 108-111 in the quarterfinals after defeating Calvin Hartley of South Africa (104 (9)-104 (7)) in the first round, Crispin Duenas of Canada (106-104) in the second round and Jean-Charles Valladont of France (107(10)-107(9)) in the pre-quarterfinals.
Banerjee lost to Terry Simon of Great Britain at 110-113 in the second round after overcoming Jantsan Gantugs of Mongolia at 103-102 in the first round. The third Indian Waikhom Ranjan Singh went down to Romain Girouille of France at 104-108.
- Disappointing show by Indian archers in individual category - Aug 07, 2009
- Archery: Indian men a big let down on opening day (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Archer Talukdar sixth in World Cup FITA round - Jun 25, 2008
- Rahul misses second successive WC final appearance by a whisker - May 30, 2008
- Archery World Cup: Dola, Reena compete for lone bronze medal - Apr 04, 2009
- Indian men's archery team enters World Cup final - May 30, 2008
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Talukdar wins world cup archery bronze on final day - Jun 07, 2009
- Archer Tarundeep Rai to vie for World Cup bronze - Jun 21, 2012
- Indian archers ranked 3rd for Olympic qualifier - Jun 20, 2012
- Indian woman recurve archers shine in Asian Grand Prix - Sep 18, 2009
- Indian archers off the mark at Lord's - Jul 27, 2012
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
Tags: archery, berth, boe, crispin, duenas, fita, frenchman, grand finale, koreans, lausanne, meteksan, quarterfinal, quarterfinals, ranjan, ruban, tally, whisker, world cup scores, world cups, xue hai