Tainted wrestler stripped of Arjuna AwardJune 18th, 2009 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Wrestler Jagdish Singh, who was arrested with banned drugs, Thursday was stripped of his Arjuna Award the government conferred on him in 1998.
Jagdish, a Punjab Police inspector, was arrested with three accomplices in Mumbai June 8 for allegedly carrying drugs worth nearly Rs.20 crore (Rs.200 million).
S.P.S. Tomar, under secretary to the government of India, in a letter asked the wrestler to return the statuette and the scroll of honour.
“I am directed to say that the Arjuna Award conferred upon you in 1998 in the discipline of wrestling is hereby withdrawn for your acts of omission and commission which led to your dismissal from Punjab Police and for having been arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau June 8 for carrying narcotics,” Tomar wrote in a letter to Jagdish.
Tomar also instructed the sports ministry, Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to bring such cases to the notice of the government immediately so that appropriate action could be taken immediately, including withdrawal of Award, if deemed necessary.
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- P T Usha to head selection committee for National sports awards - Jul 23, 2010
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Orissa artisans carve trophies for sports awards - Aug 20, 2010
- Arjuna awardee wrestler arrested with narcotics - Jun 09, 2009
- Saina Nehwal conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - Aug 29, 2010
- Govt. announces selection committees for national sports awards - Jul 22, 2010
- Woman wrestler cries foul over Games selections - Aug 01, 2010
- Government withdraws equestrian and kayaking teams from Asian Games - Nov 13, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- IOA bickering out in the open - Jan 22, 2012
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Kalmadi has not been removed: Malhotra - Apr 27, 2011
- IOA, NSFs meet PM over controversial sports bill - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: accomplices, acts, arjuna award, crore, discipline, government of india, honour, indian olympic association, jagdish singh, mumbai, narcotics control bureau, New Delhi, omission, police inspector, punjab police, rs 200, sports authority, sports ministry, statuette, wrestling