Tainted runners training at SAI centre is serious, says MakenMarch 21st, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 21 (IANS) Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken Wednesday took exception to dope-tainted athletes training at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) centre in Sonepat and said they were not funded by the government. Terming it “serious”, he promised to inquire into the matter.
“No government funding was provided to these athletes during their suspension period and if they are training at Sonepat, it is a serious matter. We will inquire and let you know at the earliest,” Maken told reporters on the sidelines of the launch of the website ‘Opex London 2012′ to monitor the athletes’ training and funding.
There is hope for dope-tainted quartermilers — Ashwini Akkunji, Sini Jose, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Panwar — to run at the London Olympics as the Anti Doping Appeal Panel (ADAP) upheld the one-year sanction imposed on them, making them eligible for the 2012 London Olympic trials.
- India's dope-tainted quartermilers eligible for London Olympics - Mar 21, 2012
- High court's interim relief for banned quarter-milers - Mar 30, 2012
- SAI official in trouble for allowing banned athletes to train - Mar 26, 2012
- Six women quarter-milers get 12-month ban, but London hopes alive - Dec 23, 2011
- Six quarter-milers handed one-year ban, olympics doubtful (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala - Jul 13, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- I'm innocent, want to leave India: Ukrainian coach (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
- Doping scandal: Ukrainian coach sacked, minister orders probe (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise check in Bhopal - Jul 16, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini, Priyanka also fail dope test (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala, files complaint (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: adap, ajay maken, appeal panel, government funding, launch, london 2012, london olympics, march 21, mary thomas, New Delhi, olympic trials, priyanka, runners, sanction, sidelines, sonepat, sports authority, suspension period, tiana, union sports