Table tennis teams get seedings, a first in OlympicsAugust 2nd, 2008 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (Xinhua) World table tennis governing body ITTF has announced the seedings for the Olympic Games team events, which are introduced for the first time in the Olympic history. Both the Chinese men’s and women’s teams have been seeded top in the 16-team events respectively, according to the release by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) here Friday.
Germany, South Korea and Hong Kong are among the top four in the men’s team, while Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea women’s teams have been placed as the second to fourth seeds. Top four seeded teams will not play games between each other until the semifinals.
The teams play best-of-five matches in each contest with each match being the best-of-five games. A contest consists of two singles matches followed by a doubles match, and, if necessary, two singles matches.
A special team ranking list, taking into consideration only the players qualified from each team, was prepared on the basis of the ITTF July 2008 world rankings to establish the seeds for the round robin stage.
The ITTF decided to include the men’s and women’s team events instead of the doubles in the Olympic format four years ago, after the Athens Olympics.
The table tennis competitions of the Beijing Olympics are to start Aug 13.
Draws for men’s and women’s team events round robin stage will be made next Thursday before the singles draws on Aug 11.
Following are the seedings of the Olympic table tennis team events:
Men’s Team 1. China, 2. Germany, 3. South Korea, 4. Hong Kong, 5. Japan, 6. Chinese Taipei 7. Singapore, 8. Austria, 9. Croatia, 10. Greece, 11. Sweden, 12. Russia
13. Brazil, 14. Nigeria, 15. Canada, 16. Australia
Women’s Team 1. China, 2. Singapore, 3. Hong Kong, 4. South Korea, 5. Japan, 6. Germany
7. Netherlands, 8. Austria, 9. United States, 10. Croatia, 11. Spain 12. Poland, 13. Romania, 14. Australia, 15. Dominican Republic , 16. Nigeria
- Bill Gates offers help to promote table tennis in US - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese paddlers cautious of risks in early matches - Jul 27, 2012
- Top teams reach quarters at World TT - Mar 29, 2012
- China usual favourites at World TT Championships - Mar 23, 2012
- Best paddlers did not make London cut: Chief TT coach - May 30, 2012
- China to dominate Asian Games table tennis - Nov 12, 2010
- Indian paddlers upbeat as they leave for Olympic qualifiers - Apr 16, 2012
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- Promising paddlers get a chance to qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- I am confident of making the Olympics: TT star Sharath Kamal - Feb 16, 2012
- FIH announces team entries for final Olympic qualifier - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian paddlers will be tested in quality field - Jun 15, 2010
- Asian Junior TT: Boys team carries medal hopes - Jul 19, 2011
- India's Asiad tally rises to 36, nine medals assured in boxing (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: athens olympics, australia women, beijing olympics, chinese men, chinese taipei, doubles match, five games, international table tennis federation, ittf, korea women, olympic games team, olympic history, olympic table tennis, singapore hong kong, table tennis federation, table tennis team, taking into consideration, tennis competitions, tennis teams, xinhua