T20 World Cup ticket sales exceed 100,000June 28th, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 28 (IANS) More than 100,000 tickets have been sold for the ICC World Twenty20 Cup in Sri Lanka, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said in a statement here Thursday.
The majority of these tickets have been sold in the Sri Lankan market, ICC said.
Around 55 percent of the sales generated are from the local market and nearly 40 percent of the tickets sold were purchased by fans over the internet, reported Xinhua.
The highest demands so far are for the matches featuring Sri Lanka, the semifinals and the final, ICC said.
“Surpassing 100,000 in ticket sales in this short time is an evidence of the interest cricket fans have in this year’s ICC T20 World Cup,” Tournament Director Upekha Nell was quoted as saying in the statement.
Ticket prices start from as little as $0.25 for the single group games and the final itself in Colombo Oct 7 is attractively priced between $2.50 and $45.
The ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012 is the first to be held in Asia and will take place from Sept 18 to Oct 7.
- World Cup T20 ticket sales rise - Apr 03, 2012
- Malinga named ICC ambassador for T20 World Cup - Jun 08, 2012
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- ICC to sell blocked tickets through ballot - Feb 26, 2011
- ICC increases participating teams for World Twenty20 - Apr 16, 2012
- Confident West Indies leave for Sri Lanka - Sep 10, 2012
- ICC launches online competition to suggest names for ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 mascot - Jul 20, 2010
- Sunburn heads to Sri Lanka - Aug 16, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan cricketer slams premier league critics - Aug 31, 2012
- Umpires, referees for World T20 group stage announced - Sep 09, 2012
- ICC confirms Lanka replacements for World Cup finals - Apr 01, 2011
- Women's cricket: Bangladesh shock South Africa by two wickets - Sep 07, 2012
- Black marketeers have field day at India-Australia quarterfinal - Mar 24, 2011
- Ten teams for next 50-over Cricket World Cup, 16 for Twenty20 - Feb 18, 2011
- Pollard shrugs off favourites tag - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: asia, cricket fans, group games, icc world twenty20, international cricket council, local market, oct 7, short time, single group, sri lanka, sri lankan market, t20 world cup, ticket prices, ticket sales, tournament director, twenty20 cup, world cup ticket, world cup tournament, xinhua