T20 world Cup: India beats minnows Afghanistan by seven-wicketMay 2nd, 2010 - 12:05 am ICT by ANI
St. Lucia (West Indies) May 1 (ANI): Team India on Saturday beat Afghanistan by seven wickets in their first Group C match of the World Twenty20 at Beausejour Stadium here.
Put to bat first, Afghanistani team could manage to score just 115 for eight with the help of Noor Ali (50 off 48 balls) and Asghar Stanikzai (30 off 33 balls) sharing 68 runs to pull the team out of trouble, after the team lost its first three wickets for just 29 runs.
For India, Ashish Nehra took three wickets and Praveen Kumar claimed two.
Left-armer Ashish Nehra grabbed 3-19 to spearhead India, which won the toss and chose to bowl.
Nehra’s two short balls removed Karim Sadiq and Mohammad Shahzad cheaply to give India an early fillip.
Praveen Kumar claimed 2-14 in the match.
Team India, however, finished the match by chasing the small score in just 14.5 overs with Murali Vijay (48) and Yuvraj Singh (23 not out) doing the bulk of the scoring.
Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni struck two sixes in his unbeaten 15. (ANI)
- Afghanistan set India 116-run target - May 01, 2010
- World Twenty20: India beat Afghanistan - May 01, 2010
- Scoreboard, World Twenty20, India vs Afghanistan - May 02, 2010
- India to begin World Twenty20 campaign against Afghanistan - Apr 30, 2010
- Easy victory for India, Afghanistan show promise (Lead) - May 01, 2010
- South Africa turn to Barbados with hope - May 04, 2010
- Dhoni lauds Afghanistan for impressive display - May 02, 2010
- Unimpressive India beat Afghanistan by 23 runs - Sep 20, 2012
- Teams for World Twenty20 cricket - Apr 29, 2010
- Deccan Chargers set 187-run target for Pune Warriors - May 01, 2012
- World T20 Scoreboard: India vs Afghanistan - Sep 20, 2012
- Scoreboard: South Africa vs Afghanistan, World Twenty20 - May 06, 2010
- Raina century powers India to Super Eight (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Johnson and Permaul maul India A by 125 runs - Jun 13, 2012
- Warriors restrict Mumbai Indians to 120/9 - May 03, 2012
Tags: asghar, ashish nehra, dhoni, fillip, karim, may 1, minnows, mohammad, noor ali, sadiq, seven wickets, sixes, skipper, st lucia, t20 world cup, vijay, west indies, wicket, world twenty20, yuvraj singh