Syria, Jordan confirm Nehru Cup participationJune 23rd, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Syria and Jordan have confirmed participation in the Nehru Cup football tournament in Delhi August 16-26 and the All-India Football Federation (AIFF) is waiting to hear from African powerhouses Cameroon and Nigeria.
Announcing this on the sidelines of the federation’s platinum jubilee celebrations here Saturday, AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said invitation has been extended to Thailand, Costa Rica, Malaysia and Zambia.
“So far only Syria and Jordan have confirmed their participation and we are hoping that either Cameroon or Nigeria would also agree to play,” said Das.
“If Nigeria and Cameroon don’t participate, there will still be good teams like Costa Rica, Thailand, Malaysia and Zambia and some of them should accept our invitation,” he added.
On India hosting the under-17 FIFA World Cup, Das said the security issue was the sticking point as the states which would play the hosts have to give the undertaking.
“Meetings of the venue officials will be held in July, but the states have to resolve the security issue as it is their subject,” he said.
India needs at least six world-class stadia to be able to host the event. The AIFF has short-listed eight venues — New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Guwahati, Goa and Kochi.
“We have already got assurances from four states - Assam, Kerala, Delhi and Goa,” Das said.
- India could host FIFA U-17 World Cup, government assures support (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- FIFA is keen on India bidding for Under-17 World Cup - Jan 30, 2012
- Big time football returns to Nehru Stadium with I-League - Apr 15, 2011
- India's football friendly with South Africa postponed - Dec 05, 2011
- Football federation, Goa plan centre of excellence - May 09, 2012
- FIFA secretary general to meet Ambani, Munjal - Sep 03, 2012
- AIFF allows I-League clubs to register four overseas players - Jul 14, 2011
- AIFF to invite bids for telecast rights of I-League - Nov 27, 2010
- Rudi Krol eager to coach Indian football team - May 06, 2011
- AIFF gets to use football facilities at Nehru Stadium - Oct 05, 2011
- Houghton hires lawyer against AIFF, denies racist comments - Apr 11, 2011
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- AIFF upset with Houghton's remarks - Jan 14, 2011
- India-Pakistan football friendlies in England - May 20, 2011
- FIFA praises Costa Rica's victory in pre-World Cup - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: aiff, assam, bangalore, football federation, four states, general secretary, goa, guwahati, kerala, kolkata, kushal das, nehru cup football, nehru cup football tournament, New Delhi, platinum jubilee, powerhouses, pune, security issue, sidelines, sticking point