Symonds takes to rugby leagueJune 22nd, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 22 (IANS) Andrew Symonds swapped the green and gold jersey of the Australia cricket team for the green and red of Wynnum-Manly to fulfil his dream of playing a senior rugby league match.
Symonds has been stripped of his central contract by Cricket Australia (CA) and now the Queenslander is free to play rugby which was deemed too risky for his physical well-being when he was a contracted player.
Symonds was always passionate about rugby and at one point in his career considered giving up cricket to try out for the Brisbane Broncos.
On Sunday, he made a surprise appearance at Kougari Oval, near Brisbane, against a Men Of League All Stars team which included former Test centre Steve Renouf, former Melbourne Storm premiership winger Marcus Bai and Manly star Ben Kennedy.
It was a friendly game but Symonds felt the pressure to perform in front of spectators including former Queensland teammates Jim Maher and Andrew Bichel.
“I couldn’t sleep last night,” Symonds was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun.
Symonds, though nervous, gave the packed crowd some glimpses of his potential. He was playing win in the first half and was also jeered by the crowd when he dropped first pass that came his way, but then he proceeded to play well.
He also could have scored but generously unloaded to teammate David Green who touched down under the posts.
Former St George hooker Trevor Bailey liked Symonds’ style.
“He has got a bit of pace and strength - if he had played league he would have played wing or centre and being the athlete he is might have done well,” Bailey said.
- Symonds fulfills his dream of playing rugby following CA contract exit - Jun 22, 2009
- 'Free spirit' Symonds happy out of cricketing spotlight - Dec 23, 2010
- "Carefree" Symonds successfully holds on to self-imposed booze ban - Jun 24, 2009
- Symonds retires from professional cricket - Feb 16, 2012
- Hayden to lead push to prevent axing of Sheffield Shield final - Feb 02, 2011
- Symonds says needs time to reflect about his cricket future - Jun 06, 2009
- Ex-Oz keeper Healy says frazzled Symonds secretly relieved at being axed - Jun 05, 2009
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Symonds, cricket's vagabond, revelling in his freelance lifestyle - Sep 30, 2009
- Bichel doesn't want to be Aussie bowling coach - May 18, 2012
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Symonds to launch TV presenting career - Oct 07, 2009
- Symonds mourned absence of 'beer and mate' culture in next-Gen Oz mates - Jun 09, 2009
- Queensland cricket authorities back Symonds - Jun 06, 2009
- Brisbane Broncos adopts Symonds as their 18th man - Sep 27, 2009
Tags: Andrew Symonds, australia cricket team, brisbane broncos, cricket australia, david green, glimpses, gold jersey, green and gold, herald sun, hooker, jim maher, marcus bai, melbourne storm, queenslander, spectators, stars team, surprise appearance, test centre, trevor bailey, winger