Symonds’ CA contract loss is Tait’s gainJune 12th, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, June 12 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) announced Friday that South Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait will be given a contract that was taken away from Queensland all-rounder Andrew Symonds.
Symond’s contract was revoked after discipline breaches during the ongoing Twenty20 World Cup in England.
Tait, who is no longer considered a Test prospect, gained the 25th ranking as a one-day and Twenty20 bowler because of the vacancy.
National selection panel chairman Andrew Hilditch said that the bowler qualified for a contract because of his value in the short form games.
“With Cricket Australia now withdrawing its previous contract offer to Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait has moved into a position where he has been offered a CA contract offer for 2009-10 under the rankings system CA uses to offer contracts to players,” Hilditch said.
“Shaun at his best is an important part of our one-day international and Twenty20 make-up and I’m sure he will now seize the opportunity presented to him with this offer of a further Australian contract.”
Tait has not played Test cricket since suffering a breakdown after the Perth game against India in 2007-08.
CA chief operations manager Michael Brown confirmed today he had informed Symonds of the decision.
It follows his latest indiscretion which saw him sent home before the start of Australia’s ill-fated World Twenty20 campaign in England.
“Cricket Australia has advised Andrew Symonds that his contract offer for the next contract year (starts July 1) has been withdrawn,” Brown was quoted as saying by The Australian.
Brown said Symonds would still be clear to play in Australia and hoped the 34-year-old would continue to play for Queensland
Symond’s manager Matt Fearon confirmed that the unpredictable Symonds has received offers from English counties and South African provinces.
He was a success in the Indian Premier League, helping the Deccan Chargers to the Twenty20 title in South Africa last month. He has another year left on his Deccan contract.
- Tait retires from ODIs to focus on T20 career - Mar 28, 2011
- 'Rebuked' Symonds to play in IPL as T20 specialist - Jun 13, 2009
- Symonds loses Cricket Australia contract - Jun 12, 2009
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Katich among seven players to lose Australian contract - Jun 08, 2011
- 'Free spirit' Symonds happy out of cricketing spotlight - Dec 23, 2010
- Tait ready to give England some chin music in Twenty20s - Jan 11, 2011
- Ferguson to replace Marsh for remaining Sri Lanka series - Nov 04, 2010
- Tait proves fitness, Ferguson added to Oz squad for ODIs against England - Feb 01, 2011
- Symonds not too keen on Queensland contract - Jun 12, 2009
- Brett Lee, Shaun Tait in Australia's T20 squad - Jan 07, 2011
- Cricket Australia to review its outdated system for awarding national contracts - Apr 02, 2010
- Tait retires from one-day international cricket - Mar 28, 2011
- Tait all praise for Rahul Dravid's mental toughness - Sep 17, 2011
- CA's contract system should be overhauled: Hohns - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: Andrew Symonds, australian fast bowler, cricket australia, deccan, england cricket, english counties, fearon, hilditch, indiscretion, michael brown, national selection, operations manager, panel chairman, rounder, selection panel, shaun tait, south african provinces, test cricket, twenty20 world cup, world twenty20