Syd Kitson to Build Solar-Powered City in FloridaApril 10th, 2009 - 10:43 pm ICT by GD
Syd Kitson, a former NFL lineman has announced an innovative plan for an entire solar-powered city in southwest Florida. Babcock ranch, says Kitson, is going to have a good deal of green innovations including charging stations for electric powered vehicles, the largest photovoltaic solar plant in the world an a smart power grid. Kitson plans to build a city where people lead usual lives and go to shop, work and play without making long trips by car.
The city will have a bikable and walkable downtown, as many as 8000 homes including very affordable homes for local workers, a school, a fitness facility and sustainable retail stores, reported Time magazine.
Kitson has played six seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers and said, “Some people think I got hit in the head a few too many times. But, I still believe deeply in Florida. And the time has come for something completely different.”
Florida Power and Light will work with Kitson to provide electricity in the futuristic city with the world’s largest photovoltaic plant. At 75-megawatts this photovoltaic plant will be twice the size of the current record holder photovoltaic plant in Germany, according to Time. Solar power is a new entrant in the gas powered state but Florida Power and Light hopes to begin constructing the 400-acre plant valued at $300 million by the end of 2009.
Kitson has already acquired the land and the permission to build on it . He also promises “groundbreaking” ways to ensure energy efficiency for all the buildings on Babcock Ranch.
- Tibet to have solar power generation base - Apr 17, 2012
- BHEL to set up 5MW solar power plant in Karnataka - Jun 18, 2011
- Maharashtra to get world's biggest solar power station - May 21, 2011
- Hindus laud Pope's interest in solar-powered electric "popemobile" - Dec 03, 2010
- Himachal developing solar-powered cities - Aug 20, 2011
- Hindus congratulate Pope for making Vatican as world's most environment friendly nation - Dec 12, 2010
- Indian, Israeli experts tap sun for hybrid power plants - Feb 14, 2012
- Solar energy bouncing off pavements 'can melt ice, power streetlights' - Nov 10, 2010
- Solar power can meet up to 7 percent of India's energy needs - May 24, 2011
- China gives solar-powered TVs to herdsmen - Nov 01, 2011
- Magsaysay awardee plans to electrify 1,000 rural homes - Nov 21, 2011
- Tata Power, Sunengy to launch floating solar power plant - Mar 22, 2011
- Breakthrough promises cheap biosolar energy - Feb 03, 2012
- India looking to Germany for assistance in renewable energy technologies - May 07, 2010
- Solar cells that convert windows into energy producers - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: acre plant, babcock ranch, dallas cowboys, electric powered vehicles, energy efficiency, few too many times, fitness facility, florida power and light, former nfl, futuristic city, green bay packers, kitson, megawatts, nfl lineman, photovoltaic plant, power grid, smart power, solar plant, southwest florida, time magazine