Swiss cyclist Cancellara laughs off claims of winning races with electric bikeJune 3rd, 2010 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
Paris, June 3 (ANI): Swiss Olympic cycling champion Fabian Cancellara has laughed off suggestions that an electric bike helped him win two races this spring.
He was rubbishing criticism aired in a video about his wins at the Paris-Roubaix and the Tour des Flandres.
“It’s so crazy that I haven’t anything to say,” The Times quoted the racer, who is better known as Spartacus, as saying.
“I don’t feel like spending much time on such a stupid story,” he added.The video purported to show Cancellara allegedly pressing a button on the handlebars as he zoomed towards the finish line.
Tom Boonen, a Belgian who came second to Cancellara in Flanders, said that he gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Jean-René Bernaudeau, a former racer and current director of the Bouygues Télécom team, said he found the idea plausible.
If it can be done, I don’t see many cheats refusing to put a motor on a bike,” he said.
The International Cycling Union (ICU), the sport’s governing body, said that it was too late to check race-winning machines.
Officials said they doubted Cancellara had cheated, but added that the ICU was working on ways of scanning for secret electric power. (ANI)
- Bicycles To Undergo Checks At Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- ICU To Scrutinize Electric Bicycles At The Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- UCI to check for electric motors in bicycles at the Tour de France - Jun 24, 2010
- Former world champion banned from Tour de France - Jun 19, 2009
- Cycling champion Boonen suspended after positive cocaine test - May 09, 2009
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Olympics: Gilbert eyes medal to end disappointing season - Jul 27, 2012
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Pope to release his own music album! - Sep 21, 2009
- Hamilton calls Chinese Grand Prix win a 'miracle' - Apr 22, 2011
- Twitter blamed for Olympic cyclic coverage issues - Jul 30, 2012
- Landis reveals Armstrong sold racing bikes to fund doping program - Jul 03, 2010
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Off-Road Racer Nathan Woods Dies After Injuring Himself During Practice Session - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: benefit of the doubt, bouygues, champion, cheats, electric bike, fabian cancellara, finish line, flanders, governing body, handlebars, international cycling union, jean ren, june 3, laughs, olympic cycling, paris roubaix, spartacus, stupid story, swiss olympic, tom boonen