Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to AuroraAugust 4th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Aurora (Colorado), Aug 4 (IANS) While the media is calling her the next Michael Phelps, American swimmer Missy Franklin’s friends back in Aurora say she’s the light shining through the darkness that has shrouded their community.
Franklin’s third Olympic gold medal came Friday, a world record in the woman’s 200-metre backstroke, and has brought Aurora a different kind of attention, reports Xinhua.
“Our community can’t be labelled by one psychotic individual,” said Christine Cutler, who calls the 17-year-old, entering senior school at Regis Jesuit high school in Aurora a “daughter” to her.
Cutler was referring to mass shooting suspect James Holmes, charged with 12 deaths and 116 counts of attempted murder in the midnight movie shootings July 20 in this suburb of Denver.
While the nation and world have been galvanized by the tragic shootings, Franklin plunged into the Olympic pool this week with grit and determination, bringing a needed relief to her community.
“Missy is nothing but goodness, juxtaposed to the evil of that man,” Cutler said. “She’s the perfect friend, the perfect daughter, the perfect person, a wonderful young woman getting what she deserves.” Cutler’s daughter Abby and Franklin have been best friends since elementary school.
Franklin led Friday’s 200-metre backstroke race from the beginning and finished a full length ahead of silver medallist Russia’s Anastasia Zueva with a world record time of 2:04.06. She had already won gold in the 100m backstroke and 4×200 freestyle relay, and a bronze in the 4×100 freestyle relay.
Franklin is the first woman to win the 100 and 200m Olympic backstroke events in 12 years. Her toothy smile and frequent podium appearances have earned her respect and admiration across the globe.
A gold in the 4×100 medley relay Saturday will give her four golds and a bronze medal in her first Olympic games.
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Franklin sinks world record to clinch 200m backstroke gold - Aug 04, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Australia wins 4x100m medley gold - Jul 29, 2012
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- CWG: 43 gold medals at stake, all eyes upon Indian shooters - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: 100m backstroke, 4x100, american swimmer, attempted murder, aurora colorado, daughter abby, first olympic games, james holmes, jesuit high school, michael phelps, olympic games, olympic gold medal, olympic pool, perfect friend, perfect person, regis jesuit high school, silver medallist, toothy smile, tragic shootings, world record time