Swimming Australia plans to lure Phelps for Thorpe showdownApril 3rd, 2011 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Apr 3 (ANI): Swimming Australia, the country’s governing body for competitive swimming, has revealed its plan to lure American Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps to Sydney next year to compete with national hero Ian Thorpe.
The organization is keen to stage a competition between the two biggest swimming champions to build upon the success of the inaugural Summer Swim Series.
The chief executive of Swimming Australia, Kevin Neil, said his organization had tried to entice Phelps, who has won 14 Olympic gold medals, to January’s open-air series.
‘We tried to attract Phelps here last year for the Summer Swim Series and while he showed initial interest we were unable to get him on the plane because of a timing issue,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Niel, as saying.
Neil said Swimming Australia was locking in a sponsor for next January’s Summer Swim Series event. He said it was his aim to build upon the corporate and public interest in the sport.
‘The coaches have told me we’re planning to get Phelps here at an intense time of his Olympic preparation it’d be eight months before London but we’ll certainly be trying hard,’ he said. (ANI)
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Thorpe's comeback announcement praised and panned on Twitter - Feb 02, 2011
- Thorpe must decide soon on international swimming comeback plans: Coach - Feb 01, 2011
- Thorpe's swimming future announcement on Wednesday - Feb 01, 2011
- Thorpe says he has no plans for competitive swimming again - May 03, 2010
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps wins 200m freestyle at US Olympic trials - Jun 28, 2012
- Champion swimmer Thorpe stays positive despite poor results - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: aim, australia, canberra, champion michael, chief executive, competitive swimming, eight months, governing body, ian thorpe, initial interest, intense time, london, michael phelps, national hero, olympic gold medals, olympic swimming, public interest, summer swim, sydney