Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than beforeMarch 30th, 2011 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Mar.30 (ANI): Australia’s Olympic swimming champion Ian Thorpe believes that after six months back in training he can become better and faster swimmer than he used to be.
The five-time Olympic gold medallist is targeting a spot on Australia’s team for next year’s London Games after retiring from the sport in 2006.
“My overall goal in what I’m doing now is to be better than what I used to be, that’s it,” The Fox Sports quoted Thorpe, as saying.
“When I started swimming again I wasn’t going to continue unless I thought I could be better. And after a few months I’m confident that I can be better and faster than I used to be able to swim,” he added.
Thorpe won Olympic gold in the 200 meter and 400 meter freestyle and won a world title at 800 meter.
But he has his focus firmly set on the 100 meter and 200 meter individual and relay freestyle events in his comeback.
“I actually think that I am better suited to those events”, “Also, in the time frame that I have, it would have been almost impossible to do the training for the 400 in the lead up to the Games,” said Thorpe.
The 28 year-old announced his comeback last month after returning to training in September. Presently, Thorpe is training under revered coach Gennadi Touretski in Germany. (ANI)
- Thorpe appoints Touretski as his new coach - Mar 17, 2011
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Thorpe's comeback announcement praised and panned on Twitter - Feb 02, 2011
- Hoogenband says 'special athlete' Thorpe can win another gold in London - Feb 08, 2011
- Australia's Thorpe eyes London Olympics comeback - May 03, 2010
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Thorpe must decide soon on international swimming comeback plans: Coach - Feb 01, 2011
- Champion swimmer Thorpe stays positive despite poor results - Nov 16, 2011
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Oz sprint coach says Thorpe must shed kilos for Olympics comeback - Feb 04, 2011
- Ian Thorpe to return for 2012 London Olympics - Feb 02, 2011
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Oz swimmer Ian Thorpe may announce London Olympics ambitions soon - Jan 30, 2011
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012