Swimmer Ann Curtis diesJuly 27th, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
California, July 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Ann Curtis, who is a renowned swimmer for winning two gold medal at the 1984 Olympics that were held in London died on Thursday at the age of 86 years.
Curtis died at her home in San Rafael, Calif because of complications that she suffered due to the Alzheimer’s disease. Curtis started her swimming career at the tender age of twelve. By the time she participated in the Olympics, Ann Curtis had broken 18 swimming championship titles in the US and she had won 8 national competitions.
In the Olympics, Ann Curtis was able to score a medal in all the three competitions that she participated in. She won two gold and one silver medals.
Ann Curtis was married to Gordon Cuneo a year after her win in the Olympics and they had five children. Ann Curtis was born in San Francisco. She moved to San Rafael after the Olympics where she started a swimming school and coached young swimmers. Some of her swimmers have participated in the Olympics.
Curtis coached the young swimmers for twenty five years before retiring. Her husband Cuneo now manages the school as Curtis had stopped swimming and was only involved in water aerobics before her death.
- 15-years-old swimmer wins gold at the London Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Expect charming athletes at London Olympics: Chinese daily - Jul 27, 2012
- Amanda Beard's Memoir Coming In 2012 - Dec 15, 2010
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- Kiwis banking on young swimmers to make golden splash in Delhi CWG pool - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: 1984 olympics, alzheimer, ann curtis, championship titles, gold medal, london, national competitions, olympics, san francisco, san rafael, silver medals, swimmer, swimmers, tender age, twenty five years, water aerobics