Swann says it would be great if England gets No. 1 rankingMay 1st, 2011 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 1 (ANI): Off-spinner Graeme Swann has said it would be great if England gets the No. 1 ranking.
He said that he and his team mates were looking forward to taking on the Sri Lankans in the forthcoming Test series that begins later this month.
The matches are to be played in Cardiff, Lord’s and Hampshire’s Rose Bowl.
According to ex-cricketer and now commentator David Lloyd, England must get over its obsession with that “funny little urn (The Ashes).But Swann thinks differently.
He says: “It’s the biggest thing in cricket, the greatest sporting event on the planet. It is the most important series England and Australia play, as simple as that. The biggest Test series in cricket, full stop. Of course every series is important, but if you ask any of the players what is top of their wish list then winning an Ashes series would be it.”
He adds: “For me, the Ashes will always be the premier cricket event, the one that I will always be desperate to play in and desperate to win.”
“This is a massive summer for us. After the winter we’ve had it would be a real shame if we didn’t carry on the good work. We want to be No 1 in the world and if we can beat first Sri Lanka and then India later this summer I think we’ll have gone a long way towards doing that,” Swann said.
He adds: “Being the No 1 Test team would be a great title to have and it’s what we are going for. We’ve made no secret about that - we want to be No 1 in both Tests and one-dayers.”
England are third in the Test rankings, behind India and South Africa. But with a four-match series against the leaders to follow Sri Lanka’s visit, the summit - which was obscured for so long by Australia’s seemingly immovable presence - is now in view. (ANI)
- Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squad - Jul 17, 2011
- Swann looking forward to summer meeting with India - May 01, 2011
- India have to prove they are world's top Test team: Botham - May 26, 2011
- Shame that Hawk-Eye is not being used: Swann (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Nothing better than beating India to claim No.1 ranking: Cook - Jul 14, 2011
- We can surprise India: Morgan - Jul 16, 2011
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- Reaching No.1 spot is not the end of the journey: Swann - Aug 04, 2011
- England must dominate all forms of game to be declared a great team: Pringle - Jan 09, 2011
- England to aim for Ashes series win in Sydney - Jan 01, 2011
- Ponting not expecting miracles from Oz players during India tour - Sep 20, 2010
- England well placed to be World No.1 side: Strauss - Jul 27, 2011
- 'King' Swann keeping his eyes on Ashes prize - Dec 12, 2010
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- England bowling attack best in the world: Ponting - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: cardiff, commentator, cricket event, cricketer, david lloyd, forthcoming test, match, may 1, obsession, rose bowl, shame, south africa, sri lanka, sri lankans, team mates, test rankings, test series, test team, urn, wish list