Svetlana Kuznetsova lifts the Roland Garros Women’s Singles titleJune 8th, 2009 - 3:32 am ICT by GD
Svetlana Kuznetsova, after waiting for more than five years to win her second major Grandslam, finally got her share of Roland Garros glory that was due for a long time.
Right through the tournament, Kuznetsova had slogged and struggled through three-set matches before finally making it to the finals, where she would be facing the 1st seeded and her compatriot, Dinara Safina.
Everyone, including herself thought that the final match against Dinara would be the hardest and to register a win here meant that she would have to play ‘out of her skin’. But the Saturday morning in Paris was to witness something different something that none of the spectators had thought of happening. Kuznetsova breezing past through Safina in just an hour and 14 minutes and registering a 6-4, 6-2 victory, to win the French Open Women Single’s title.
While accepting the trophy on Philippe Chatrier court, the 23 year old, Svetlana Kuznetsova from St. Petersburg said, “I have been waiting for this moment for a long time, losing to the winners. I had been playing many matches, and this time it happened. Really, I didn’t expect it to happen this year.” Well things like this happens when one is least expecting them to happen.
Five year ago at a young age of 19, Kuznetsova had won her first Grandslam title win the 2004 U.S. Open championship. To lift the U.S. Open title then she had defeated, Elena Dementieva, another fellow Russian player.
As for the Men’s Singles finals, Roger Federer, the winner of 13 Grandslam titles will be taking on the current Roland Garros sensation Robin Soderling on Sunday.
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- Kuznetsova wins second Slam as Safina loses again (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Serena through to Wimbledon final - Jul 02, 2009
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Safina stranded again as Kuznetsova wins French Open (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Safina, Kuznetsova eager to crash French Open title barrier - Jun 05, 2009
- Federer overwhelms Melzer to set up Soderling showdown - Sep 07, 2010
- Kuznetsova to stick with coach despite thrashing - Jun 04, 2012
- Nadal clinches fifth French title - Jun 06, 2010
- I'm the proudest wife: Lara on Mahesh-Sania's win - Jun 08, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Wozniacki, Arzarenko advance into US Open second round - Aug 31, 2011
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: compatriot, dinara safina, elena dementieva, final match, french open, grandslam, more than five years, morning in paris, open championship, open women, philippe chatrier, robin soderling, roger federer, roland garros, russian player, saturday morning, sensation, spectators, svetlana kuznetsova, time right