Suspended Ajax-AZ match to be replayed without spectatorsDecember 28th, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague (Netherlands), Dec 28 (IANS) The suspended Dutch Cup match between Ajax and AZ Alkmaar will be played all over again Jan 19 but without spectators, the professional football board of the Dutch football association KNVB said Wednesday.
In addition, the prosecutor of the KNVB offered Ajax a settlement proposal of a 10,000 euros fine and one match without spectators. The prosecutor believes that Ajax had not made all-out effort to prevent the pitch invader from entering the field, Xinhua reported.
The encounter between Ajax and AZ in Amsterdam last Wednesday was suspended after an Ajax fan attacked AZ goalkeeper Esteban in the back. The incident occurred in the 37th minute when Ajax led 1-0. Referee Bas Nijhuis gave the goalkeeper, according to the rules, a red card for kicking the fan. AZ decided not to continue and the match was suspended.
The Dutch football association has already decided to remit the red card of Esteban while AZ was also not punished for refusing to play on.
Besides the replay, the other options were to restart in the 37th minute, or to count the 1-0 scoreline when play stopped as the end result.
Ajax has to respond to the settlement before Jan 2. If Ajax does not agree, the case will continue at the disciplinary committee.
- Parents of Ajax fan are in hiding for fear of reprisal - Dec 24, 2011
- Dutch Cup match suspended after fans attack goalkeeper - Dec 22, 2011
- Only children spectators for Ajax-AZ rematch - Jan 13, 2012
- Dutch pitch invader sentenced to six months imprisonment - Dec 30, 2011
- Dutch Cup match abandoned after keeper kicks fan - Dec 22, 2011
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC Twente - Apr 30, 2012
- Van Gaal to coach Dutch national team - Jul 07, 2012
- Ajax signs Schone, lures Narsingh and Moisander - Apr 20, 2012
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
- Dutch league match suspended due to dense fog - Nov 21, 2011
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: according to the rules, ajax, az alkmaar, disciplinary committee, dutch cup, dutch football association, end result, football board, hague netherlands, jan 19, knvb, nijhuis, one match, pitch invader, professional football, prosecutor, scoreline, settlement proposal, spectators, xinhua