Sushil promises a fight by Indian wrestlersAugust 5th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS) Beijing Games bronze medallist Sushil Kumar has promised a good show by the Indian grapplers at the London Olympics where the wrestling competition began Sunday.
“You will not find the Indian wrestlers wanting on the mat. We are determined to give our best. But then it is sports. Nothing can be predicted,” the soft spoken wrestler said at the Games Village here.
Sushil, who was the flag bearer of Indian contingent at the opening ceremony, had gone back to Minsk, Belarus to continue his training.
Talking about his competition the 66 kg freestyle category, Sushil said: “There are a few with whom I have not wrestled so far. But this is Olympics. You will always have to face the uncertain and be prepared for it.”
Sushil admitted to the burden of expectations this time after the bronze in Beijing.
“People back home have lot of expectation not only from me but from other wrestlers. This is a very good sign. Earlier wrestling never got so much of media attention.”
Team leader Raj Singh exuded confidence about his unit’s chances.
“There is nothing 100 percent in life, but one makes assessment on the basis of players’ past performances and present conditions. The wrestlers are in very good shape and confident to do well,” he said.
“In 60 kg, Yogeshwar Dutt is Asian champion. There are more Asian wrestlers compared to others and he has fought with most of them.
“Amit Kumar (55 kg) is young and a very bright prospect. He can emerge as a dark horse. Narsingh Yadav in 75 kg is capable of creating an upset. He has beaten the Beijing Games medallist in the qualifying competition,” he added.
In 55 kg category, Geeta will have the distinction of being the first Indian women to compete in the Olympics.
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- It's now or never, says wrestler Yogeshwar (IANS kicks off its coverage of India's medal hopes at the London Olympics) - Jun 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestlers put behind doping scandal, aim for rich haul - Sep 20, 2010
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- For me this Commonwealth Games special, says Sushil - Oct 03, 2010
- Sushil, Yogeshwar return home to hero's welcome - Aug 14, 2012
- Khatri, Alka to lead India's charge at Asian Wrestling - Apr 28, 2011
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) (Lead, correcting dateline) - Aug 12, 2012
- Would have loved to hear national anthem: Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's gold brings cheer to tainted Indian wrestling - Sep 13, 2010
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,