Sushil Kumar to be India’s flag bearer at OlympicsJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Wrestler Sushil Kumar would be India’s flag-bearer at the London Olympics opening ceremony July 27 Indian Olympic Association (IOA) acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra announced here Sunday.
Sushil, who won the bronze at the Beijing Games, was chosen from among four medal winning Olympians - Leander Paes, Vijender Singh and Abhinav Bindra.
“Sushil Kumar was chosen owing to the events of some of the other contenders just after the opening ceremony,” Malhotra said.
Leander has got the honour in Sydney, while both Vijender and Abhinav have their respective events the very next day.
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Sushil deserves to carry the flag: Leander Paes - Jul 20, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- CWG: Tejaswani, Lajjakumari win silver medal in 50m rifle - Oct 05, 2010
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- India gets first gold in CWG: Bindra, Narang win in air rifle event - Oct 05, 2010
- Aslam Sher Khan elected president of Olympian Association - Dec 13, 2011
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Bindra to be the flag bearer, confusion over torch bearers names (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- We have to adapt to changing styles of wrestling: Sushil Kumar (Interview) - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: abhinav bindra, acting president, beijing, contenders, flag bearer, games, honour, India, indian olympic association, ioa, leander paes, london olympics, New Delhi, olympics, olympics opening ceremony, sushil kumar, sydney, vijay kumar, vijay kumar malhotra