Sushil Kumar named India’s flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead)July 15th, 2012 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Sushil Kumar, the Beijing Olympics bronze winning wrestler, will be India’s flag-bearer at the London Games’ opening ceremony July 27.
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra announced here Sunday that Sushil was chosen for the honour after due consideration.
Malhotra said other Olympic medallists Leander Paes (tennis), Abhinav Bindra (shooting) and Vijender Singh (boxing), were also in the reckoning for the flag-bearer’s role.
“Sushil will be India’s flag-bearer at the London Games. Names of Paes, Bindra and Vijender were also brought up for the role. Paes has already given the honour while Bindra and Vijender have their competition in the early days of the Olympics,” Malhotra said.
Vijender, who was the other bronze medallist at Beijing, has his first round bout a day after the opening ceremony while shooter Bindra’s event is also in the initial days of the mega event.
Atlanta bronze medallist Paes was the flag-bearer at the Sydney Games in 2000. Trap shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore carried the national flag in the Beijing edition four years ago.
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Sushil deserves to carry the flag: Leander Paes - Jul 20, 2012
- Gagan Narang becomes fifth shooter to carry Indian flag - Nov 12, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang battles fatigue to carry Indian flag (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Abhinav Bindra takes athletes' oath at CWG opening ceremony - Oct 03, 2010
- Bindra becomes fourth shooter to carry Indian flag - Oct 03, 2010
- Deafening roar greets Indian contingent at CWG opener (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- Aslam Sher Khan elected president of Olympian Association - Dec 13, 2011
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- India's Beijing Olympic stars among six CWG brand ambassadors - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: acting president, beijing olympics, bronze medallist, due consideration, flag bearer, indian olympic association, initial days, ioa, leander paes, london games, london olympics, national flag, olympic medallists, opening ceremony, rathore, sushil kumar, sydney games, trap shooter, vijay kumar, vijay kumar malhotra