Surprised to receive the Dronacharya Award, says FernandezAugust 24th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) Cuban boxing coach Blas Iglesias Fernandez was pleasantly surprised to know that he is the first foreign coach in India to receive the prestigious Dronacharya Award for his persevering contribution to boxing.
“As you know this honour was only given to Indians, therefore I never expected to receive it and was very surprised to know that I would be in the reckoning and be approved for it,” said the Cuban after the sports ministry announced his name Friday.
“I starting working with the Indian team 22 years ago. It has been a long journey but a rewarding one and being the first foreign coach to receive it makes it all that more special. I am thankful to the ministry, IABF (Indian Amateur Boxing Federation) and everyone for their support,” expressed Fernandez for receiving India’s most prestigious award for coaches.
“It’s a great honour for me to have been nominated and approved for this award. I am very happy to have received this recognition. The Dronacharya Award is a very prestigious honour and I am proud to be included in the list of some great names,” added Fernandez, who is currently at the National Institute of Sports, Patiala.
Fernandez has been associated with Indian boxing for more than two decades. His stint started in 1990 and ever since he has been working in tandem with chief national coach G.S. Sandhu. Together the two have played an important role behind the paradigm shift witnessed over the years in Indian boxing.
- Cuban Fernandez, Yashvir to get Dronacharya Award - Aug 24, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Indian sports trainers get Cuban exposure (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Indians boxers asked to switch to aggressive mode - Apr 02, 2012
- India looking for more Cuban coaches - Nov 24, 2010
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Boxing coach disappointed at being ignored for PM's reception - Oct 18, 2010
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
- 55 Indian sports trainers arrive in Cuba - Jan 20, 2011
- Saina to get Khel Ratna, Arjuna for Chettri and Sandeep (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2010
- It's my happiest moment: Badminton coach Arif (With Images) - Jan 25, 2012
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,