Surface won’t make difference in Davis Cup tie: ZwetschSeptember 15th, 2010 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sept 15 (IANS) Brazil has firmly rejected the theory that its players, known for their clay court expertise, would struggle on the hardcourt surface in their Davis Cup World Group playoff tie against India here this weekend.
Responding to a query on the subject, the Brazilian team’s non-playing captain Joao Zwetsch said: “The hard courts these days are not as fast they were 10 or 15 years ago and our players are comfortable playing on this surface, which is similar to the one at the US Open.”
Zwetsch also pointed out that Brazil’s current top player Thomaz Bellucci, ranked 27th, has had good results and could be counted upon to deliver, though he hastened to concede that in Davis Cup, the rankings or the conditions or the surface do not really matter.
“Davis Cup is a very emotional event where you tend to play with your heart and so, although both our singles players are higher ranked than the Indians, I still expect a close tie.”
Zwetsch has virtually mentored Bellucci after coming on board at the end of 2008 season and the 22-year old won two tour titles, both on clay.
Bellucci, replying through a translator, said: “Although my game is built around the clay court, I have had some good results in the past couple of years.”
He broke into the top-100 for the first time in May 2008 and then into the top-50 in October 2009 before achieving a high of 21 this year only to slip to his current 27.
Zwetsch, when asked whether the Bellucci-Somdev Devvarman singles tie would be critical, said: “Every match in Davis Cup is important. We are pretty confident of doing well.”
- India draw level, Brazil concede first reverse singles - Sep 19, 2010
- Brazil, Colombia battle for Davis Cup playoff - Apr 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Bopanna plays Bellucci, Somdev takes on Mello - Sep 16, 2010
- Davis Cup: India stun Brazil, stay in World Group (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- India lose both singles, trail Brazil 0-2 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Bopanna, Somdev go down fighting in Davis Cup (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2010
- Brazil makes world group playoffs in Davis Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- I will take any win: Somdev - Sep 19, 2010
- India to play Brazil at home in Davis Cup - May 11, 2010
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev hopes for strong showing - Sep 12, 2010
- We belong in World Group: Paes, Bhupathi - Sep 19, 2010
- Brazil take 1-0 lead against India in Davis Cup - Sep 17, 2010