Surendra Singh 26th in 10,000mAugust 18th, 2008 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 17 (IANS) India’s Surendra Singh fell behind his qualifying timing to end a dismal 26th among 38 competitions in the gruelling 10,000 metre race at the 29th Olympic Games here Sunday. The 29-year-old Surendra clocked 28:13.97, which was 11.08 seconds slower than the timing of 28:02.89 he achieved to make the grade for the Olympics at the Spanish Olympic trials in Vigo, Spain,last month.
Ethiopians ran away with a 1:2 in the event, with Kenenisa Bekele improving upon his old Olympic record to retain the gold he had won four years ago in Athens, while Sileshi Sihine took the silver in the track event before a packed crowd at the National Stadium ‘Bird’s Nest’.
Bekele completed the distance in 27:01.17, which bettered the old mark of 27:05.10 he had set in Athens onway to a top podium finish.
Sihine took 27:02.77 to complete the race, while Kenyan Micah Kogo clinched the bronze with his season’s best timing of 27:04.11.
- Isinbayeva eyes another pole vault world record, gold - Aug 16, 2009
- Farah first Briton to win Olympic 10,000m gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Ethiopian long distance runners eyeing Beijing glory - Jul 24, 2008
- Gay edges Powell in 100m, no stopping Bekele again - Sep 13, 2009
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Richards, Isinbayeva among six left in jackpot race - Jul 04, 2009
- Buzunesh Deba And Sergio Reyes Emerge As Twin Cities Marathon Champion - Oct 04, 2010
- Bolt runs personal best in rain at Golden League (Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Liu dominates 110m hurdles, Powell takes 100m in Shanghai - May 20, 2012
- Gay sends warning to Bolt with 100m world lead - Jul 11, 2009
- Isinbayeva meets disaster; Fraser and Bekele shine - Aug 18, 2009
- Star hurdler Liu Xiang wins Kawasaki meet - May 06, 2012
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- Bekele's golden double and Kenyan double delight in Olympics - Aug 23, 2008
Tags: athens, beijing, bekele, competitions, crowd, ethiopians, gold, India, kogo, metre race, olympic games, olympic record, olympic trials, olympics, podium, sileshi sihine, surendra singh, vigo spain