Suranjoy wins gold at the Asian Boxing ChampionshipsJune 13th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Suranjoy Singh ended a 15-year wait for India by winning gold at the Asian Boxing Championships, at Zhuahi, China, beating the local favourite Li Chao Saturday.
Rajkumar Sangwan was the last Indian to win a gold medal for India at the Asian Championships at Tehran in 1994.
Suranjoy (51 kgs), a Manipuri representing Services, lost a close first round but with his power-packed punches and swift footwork fought back in the second round, winning
It was 7-7 in the third round with barely a minute left when Suranjoy pulled off two sensational points to move ahead 9-7. Chao reduced the deficit by a point but could not stop the Indian from winning 9-8.
The other two Indians, Nanao Singh and Jai Bhagwan, who along with Suranjoy made the finals, however, lost their bouts and had to settle for a silver.
Nanao Singh (48 kgs), also a Manipuri from the Services, came close to winning the gold but lost out 8-9 in a cliffhanger to Pongprayoon Keaw of Thailand. Nanao was leading after winning the first round 3-2 and was tied 6-6 at the end of the second round. He was leading 8-7 in the third round with less than ninety seconds from the finish but the Thai boxer came back strong to win 9-8.
Jai Bhagwan (60 kgs) from the Railways and the third Indian to reach the final lost to Hudayberdiev Serdar of Turkmenistan. Jai Bhagwan was ahead 1-0 after the first round but trailed 1-2 in the second round. In the third round, Serdar showed good footwork, winning 8-3 to clinch the gold.
India, thus, ended with one gold, two silvers and four bronze medals. In the team championship India stand third after China and Uzbekistan.
- Three Indian boxers in finals of Asian meet - Jun 12, 2009
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- Rich haul of medals for India in Asian Women's Boxing - Mar 25, 2012
- World Boxing Championship: Devendro in second round - Sep 26, 2011
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Nanao in second round of World Boxing Championships - Sep 04, 2009
- CWG boxing: Suranjoy, Akhil, Amandeep storms into semis (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Monica, Pooja in China Open boxing semifinals - May 31, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Indian pugilist Jai Bhagwan boxed out - Aug 02, 2012
- IBF announces probables for CWG, Asian Games - Jul 22, 2010
- India sweep six gold medals in Commonwealth Boxing - Mar 17, 2010
- World boxing meet: Devendro, Manoj make it to London Olympics - Oct 04, 2011
- Olympics boxing: Jai Bhagwan marches into round of 16 (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj in finals (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: asian championships, bouts, bronze medals, chao, cliffhanger, footwork, gold medal, indians, jai bhagwan, manipuri, New Delhi, punches, railways, rajkumar, serdar, tehran, thai boxer, turkmenistan, uzbekistan, winning 6