Supreme Court permits Hockey India to pick CWG teams (Lead)August 27th, 2010 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday permitted the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and Hockey India (HI) to select and field the men’s and women’s hockey teams for the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games.
“There is much ado about nothing”, said the court, pointing to the contentions being raised by the sports ministry and Hockey India.
The court’s observation came while taking note of HI’s submission that 27 players have been short-listed and were being trained by coaches at Pune and that a selection committee of eminent hockey players Zafar Iqbal, Ajit Pal Singh, Govinda and Balbir Singh will pick the final squad.
The court was told that the selection team, coaches and the all expanses of the players was being bourn by the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
Taking note of the fact that the world over, even coaches were involved in the selection of teams, the court said that the coaches of the men’s and women’s hockey teams too would be involved in the process.
“It is unfortunate that we have to decide something which should have been decided by the sports authorities”, said an apex court bench of Justice R.V. Raveendran and Justice H.L. Gokhale.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium, while contesting the claim of the HI to sponsor the team, said that the format of international sporting events and Olympic events was not valid for the Commonwealth Games as its federation was dealing with sporting activities.
The issue was clinched in the favour of HI after the Indian Hockey Federation said that it was not affiliated to the FIH world governing body and thus could not sponsor the team.
The IOA, which was being sponsored by the sports ministry, said that it was just an apex body and depended on national sports federation for organizing events. It said that it would require HI for sponsoring the hockey team.
The court said that if the IOA wanted to have any additional members on the selection committee then it could nominate them.
- Court allows Hockey India team to play in world cup (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- Supreme Court allows IOA, Hockey India to select CWG hockey teams - Aug 27, 2010
- Supreme Court gives nod for selecting CWG hockey teams - Aug 27, 2010
- Government quizzed on Hockey India plea to select CWG teams - Aug 25, 2010
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- Hockey India allowed to send team for Asian Games - Oct 22, 2010
- Hockey India to send team for Azlan Shah cup: Apex court - Mar 11, 2011
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- High Court paves way for players' participation in WSH - Feb 13, 2012
- Court reserves order on plea against Hockey India 'threats' - Dec 07, 2011
- IOA unhappy at not being involved in HI, IHF talks - Jun 10, 2011
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- FIH cannot stop players from joining World Series: IHF - Jan 27, 2011
- Court questions government on hockey coach's plea - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: apex body, apex court, balbir singh, commonwealth games, court bench, even coaches, gokhale, hockey teams, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, olympic events, organizing events, raveendran, selection team, solicitor general, sports authorities, sports authority, sports ministry, subramanium, world governing body