Super Kings deserved to win: HarbhajanMay 24th, 2012 - 1:56 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 24 (IANS) A dejected Mumbai Indians skipper Harbhajan Singh said it all when he complimented Chennai Super Kings for “playing like champions” after his team lost the Indian Premier League play-off game here Wednesday by 38 runs.
“Of course, I am disappointed that we lost, but we cannot change the result. The Super Kings played like champions and deserved to win today,” said Harbhajan after the game.
“Dhoni and Bravo took the game away from us in the last four overs (of the Super Kings innings), and there was not much we could do,” he added, referring to the rollicking unfinished stand of 74 runs off 29 balls between Dhoni and Bravo for the sixth wicket.
Dhoni, adjudged Man of the Match for his unbeaten 51 off 20 balls, pointed out that it was the 94 run stand between Michael Hussey and Subramaniam Badrinath for the second wicket that set up the Super Kings innings.
“Hussey and Badri gave us the platform with their partnership. Badri is our silent hero,” said Dhoni.
Over the past week, Dhoni said his team that had completed the league engagements, watched the other games whose results directly influenced their entry into play-offs.
“We did follow the matches, but it was beyond our control.It was always there at the back of our mind that we could still qualify and the results of other matches went our way. So we are here,” said Dhoni referring to the agonizing week when the Super Kings’ fate hinged on the results of three matches.
The Super Kings eventually tied on points with Royal Challengers Bangalore, but nosed ahead on better Net Run Rate.
- Gilchrist dents Super Kings' playoff chances - May 17, 2012
- Bi-partisan fans root for cricket in Eliminator (IPL Diary) - May 24, 2012
- Must win game for Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals - May 09, 2012
- Morkel, Srikanth heroics give Super Kings four-wicket win (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Super Kings dump Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Super Kings start favourites against Daredevils (Preview) - May 24, 2012
- Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians in IPL eliminator - May 24, 2012
- IPL: Lucky Super Kings take on upbeat Mumbai Indians Wednesday - May 23, 2012
- Dhoni praises Vijay, Hussey for laying foundation for victory - May 29, 2011
- Kings XI topple Super Kings in a thrilling finish (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Super Kings defeat Cape Cobras for first win - Sep 29, 2011
- Didn't expect the match to stretch to the last ball: Bravo - May 15, 2012
- Smith, Tendulkar shine as Mumbai Indians demolish Royals (lead) - May 21, 2012
- Bravo's last ball six carries Super Kings to a thrilling win (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Dhoni takes the blame for defeat - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: badrinath, balls, bangalore, challengers, dejected, dhoni, engagements, fate, harbhajan singh, indians, match, may 24, michael hussey, mumbai, partnership, play offs, premier league, silent hero, skipper, wicket