Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge CupMarch 5th, 2012 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, March 5 (IANS) Ace striker SUnil Chettri will be leading the Indian team in the AFC Challenge Cup football tournament starting here Thursday.
Coach Savio Medeira has named defender Syed Rahim Nabi as Chettri’s deputy.
“Both Sunil and Nabi are quality players. They have earned the respect of every one, by their team play and leadership quality,” Medeira said.
“Sunil did a good job at the SAFF Championship, where he led from the front. Sunil has matured a lot. While Nabi has been one of the consistent performers for India in the recent times and has an experience to captain his club side,” he added.
Sunil said leading the 2008 champions will be a great honour.
“It’s a matter of pride and great responsibility to lead the country in such an important tournament. I feel privileged for such an honour. I would try my best to win the title and qualify for the Asian Cup,” said Sunil.
India play their first match against Tajikistan, Friday.
Goalkeepers: Karanjit Singh, Subhasish Roychowdhury, Arindam Bhattacharya;
Defenders: Nirmal Chhetri, Raju Gaikwad, Sameer Naik, Gourmangi Singh, Anwar Ali, Kinsukh Debnath, Syed Rahim Nabi (vice-captain), Gurjinder Singh;
Midfielders: Adil Khan, Anthony Pereira, Reisangmi Vashum, Rocus Lamare, Francis Fernandes, Jewel Raja, Lenny Rodrigues, Lalrindika Ralte; and
Forwards: Sunil Chhetri (captain), Sushil Singh, C.S.Sabeeth, Joaquim Abranches.
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- 30-member squad announced for Maldives and Qatar friendlies - Jul 05, 2011
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul dropped - Nov 02, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
- Chettri brace gives India 3-2 win over Malaysia - Nov 17, 2011
- India retain SAFF Cup, pound four goals on 10-man Afghanistan - Dec 11, 2011
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: adil khan, afc challenge cup, anwar ali, arindam bhattacharya, asian cup, consistent performers, cup football, football tournament, gurjinder singh, lamare, leadership quality, matter of pride, medeira, midfielders, nabi, quality players, raju, rocus, savio, vice captain