Sun Mingming, the tallest basketball playerMay 29th, 2009 - 5:30 pm ICT by GD
Sun Mingming is the tallest basketball player in the world. 25-year-old Mingming is 7′9″ (236 cm) and weighs 400 lb. The Chinese basketball player is a rising star in Japan. His fellow countryman, NBA star YAO MING is presently the tallest active player in the league, at 7′6.
He has made guest appearance in “Rush hour 3″. He has also been featured in Discovery Health channel documentary, “Anatomy of a Giant”.
Mingming’s goal is to play in the NBA and he says that he will go to any extent to get an opportunity to play for the NBA. In fact, he has claimed that he will do whatever the Association asks him to do to get a chance.
If Sun Mingming makes it to the NBA, he would become the tallest NBA player in history, leaving behind Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan, both of who are 7′7.
In 2005, Sun had been to the United States in hope for a NBA entry. He was not selected then, for lack of speed and mobility, which is a drawback for his size.
The same year, doctors discovered a benign brain tumor. It was pressing against Mingming’s pituitary gland and was preventing the proper secretion of the hormone testosterone, which was the main cause behind his low low stamina and lack of endurance.
From then on Mingming has been playing in professional leagues around the world. He first joined the USBL, where he played for the Dodge City Legend. His best game was in a win against Long Island. He had registered 4 points, 3 rebounds and 1 block. Though his debut season with USBL was not outstanding, the Maryland Nighthawks of the ABA signed him.
To add to his credits, Sun Mingming was on a one year contract with Hamamastu Phoenix of the Japanese Basketball League.
- Former NBA Player Manute Bol Dead - Jun 20, 2010
- Michael Jordan sues Chinese firm - Feb 23, 2012
- Jeremy stars in Knicks' win over Kings - Feb 16, 2012
- China's star basketballer rules out London Olympics comeback - Sep 29, 2011
- After China, NBA sets sight on India to promote basketball - Sep 11, 2010
- Height is no problem in basketball, says NBA shorty - Jan 09, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- NBA's Asian star Lin seeks trademark on 'Linsanity' - Feb 24, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- Yao Ming's Wife Pregnant With Their First Baby - Jan 07, 2010
- NBA 2K12 to be available on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii & PC - Oct 05, 2011
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- Mavericks sign Chinese forward Yi Jianlian - Jan 07, 2012
- Former NBA star says 3-a-side game suits India - Sep 11, 2012
- Omaha Nighthawks Gets A Last Minute 27-26 Win Over Hartford Colonials - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: anatomy of a giant, basketball league, benign brain tumor, chinese basketball player, city legend, debut season, discovery health channel, fellow countryman, gheorghe muresan, guest appearance, hormone testosterone, maryland nighthawks, nba star, rush hour 3, sun mingming, tallest basketball player, tallest basketball player in the world, tallest nba player, usbl, yao ming