Summer Bird wins the Belmont StakesJune 7th, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by GD
Is it a bird or is it a plane? No, it is a horse with the name Summer Bird and it gave the bettors their best day they have ever had at the Belmont Stakes.
The three year colt that started the race with 11 to 1 odds stacked against him went on to win the Belmont Stakes rallying past the favorite ‘Mine that Bird’. In its path to glory, Summer Bird also shattered jockey Calvin Borel’s dreams of winning a personal Triple Crown with two horses. Borel had earlier won the Kentucky Derby with Mine That Bird and then had conquered the Preakness with the filly Rachel Alexandra.
In the final stretch of the last lap, for a brief moment it seemed that Borel would go on to win the Belmont Stakes as well, with his little geldingon the lead. But then from nowhere, Summer Bird soared past the Mine the Bird to win the 141 edition of the Belmont Stakes. Summer Bird recorded the 1 miles win with a time of 2:27.54.
At the closing line Summer Bird was followed by Dunkirk and Mine the Bird in the third place. Charitable Man came in fourth followed by Saturday, Luv Gov, Flying Private, Brave Victory, Mr. Hot Stuff, Chocolate Candy and lastly Miner’s Escape.
As for the returns, Summer Bird, trained by the recently licensed Tim Ice, amounted to a return of $25.80. $9.30 and $4.70. Dunkirk, $5.40 and $3.60, and Mine That Bird paid $2.60 to show.
For Summer Bird, who is owned by Drs. Kalarikkal and Vilasini Jayaraman, the Belmont Stakes was his fifth career start.
- Rachel Alexandra becomes the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes - May 17, 2009
- Breeders Cup 2010 To End Today - Nov 06, 2010
- Calvin Borel Fights With Javier Castellano Post Marathon - Nov 06, 2010
- Preakness Stakes Sees Lookin At Lucky Win - May 16, 2010
- Secretariat Horse releases this weekend - Oct 10, 2010
- Filly Rachel Alexandra Wins $7,5,0000 Woodward Stakes - Sep 06, 2009
- Jockey Randy Romero And Point Given Along With Two Others Enter Racing Hall Of Fame - May 30, 2010
- "Breeders Cup 2010" All Set To Start This Weekend - Nov 01, 2010
- Calvin Borel Guides Super Saver To Victory In Kentucky Derby - May 02, 2010
- Zenyatta Wins, Honored As Horse Of The Year In Eclipse Award - Jan 18, 2011
- Romero & Point Given Elected To Racing's Hall Of Fame - May 30, 2010
- 2010 Breeders' Cup Results Turned Out To Be Unpredictable - Nov 07, 2010
- Diane Lane Expects To Rock The Box Office With 'Secretariat' - Oct 07, 2010
- Sarah Palin's horse finishes third at Belmont Stakes - Jun 06, 2010
- Did Sarah Palin get a boob job? - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: alexandra, belmont stakes, calvin borel, charitable man, chocolate candy, colt, drs, dunkirk, filly, final stretch, horses, hot stuff, jayaraman, jockey, kentucky derby, last lap, path to glory, preakness, saturday luv, triple crown