Sulieman Benn plays down talk of dream comebackJune 25th, 2012 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain (Trinidad), June 25 (IANS/CMC) Temperamental left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn has played down his last-over heroics which propelled the West Indies A to a thrilling three-wicket win over India A in the first Twenty20 of the two-match series here.
With the Windies A needing 15 from the last over, Benn clubbed the first two deliveries off Bhuveshwar Kumar’s over square leg for sixes, before calmly collecting the three runs required from the next two deliveries.
“When I went in I was batting with a recognized batsman (Jonathan Carter) so I never thought about losing. When he got out I just said I have a job to do, so I’ll go about it as smartly as possible,” said the 30-year-old, playing in his first match in the West Indies colours in 15 months.
“I wouldn’t say a ‘dream comeback’, but it’s good to hit the ground running. I give thanks for this opportunity to get back into the West Indies cricket and contribute to the success of this team.”
Benn had not played for the Caribbean side since March last year during the World Cup, after being sidelined over disciplinary issues.
He was, however, picked in a 13-man squad for the doubleheader after earlier successfully completing a rehabiliation programme with the West Indies Cricket Board.
When India A batted, he snatched three for 24 from three overs, a performance which helped to earn him the Man-of-the-Match award.
“Bearing in mind that the Indians are very experienced cricketers and are good players of spin, you always have to concentrate, but nothing beats execution and believing in your ability,” Benn said.
“I think we fielded very well, guys were throwing themselves around in the outfield. There was a buzz, we came out full of life. The captain (Kieran Powell) did an excellent job in his first match leading a West Indies team. He rotated his bowlers very well while under pressure.”
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- Sulieman Benn picked for Twenty20 matches against India A - Jun 22, 2012
- Six changes to Windies A-team for one-dayers against India A - Jun 27, 2012
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Sammy eyeing fight-back in Trinidad Test - Apr 14, 2012
- Windies begin final preparations for World T20 - Sep 01, 2012
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Besieged Windies facing heavy defeat after limp display - May 12, 2012
- Benn still has work to do, says chief selector - Aug 25, 2011
- India A dismissed for 190 in first one-dayer - Jun 28, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- Sammy's fireworks rattled Aussies, says Clarke - Apr 21, 2012
- Gibson rues another "bad hour" after Windies collapse - Apr 18, 2012
- Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series win - May 07, 2012
- Unfamiliar English conditions will be big hurdle: WI opener - May 13, 2012
Tags: batsman, benn, bowlers, caribbean side, cricketers, disciplinary issues, doubleheader, heroics, jonathan carter, man squad, port of spain, port of spain trinidad, sixes, square leg, twenty20, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, west indies team, wicket, windies