Sukhwinder, Karim front runners to replace ArmandoSeptember 21st, 2011 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) The All India Football Federation (AIFF) may appoint Sukhwinder Singh or Moroccan Karim Bencherifa as the national coach if the executive committee shoots down interim coach Armando Colaco’s demand for a five-year contract.
AIFF secretary general Kushal Das told IANS that Armando has demanded a five-year contract and it will be debated in the executive committee meeting here Thursday.
“The executive committee will be discussing Armando’s demand for a five-year contract. In the past we have never given any coach a five-year contract. This is something new to AIFF and the executive committee will be debating it and decide his future with the national team accordingly,” Das said Wednesday.
A top official of the executive committee, however, told IANS that Salgaocar coach Bencherifa, and former national coach Sukhwinder, now a technical director with Pailan Arrows, are the favourites if the executive committee refuses to accept Armando’s demand.
Das said that AIFF was not looking at replacements for Armando but several candidates have applied for the post.
“We are not looking at replacements now. First, we have to decide on Armando’s future and tenure with the national team. Then we have look for replacements,” he said.
A section of the AIFF is upset with Armando, who did not allow the team to play against Barbados in Bridgetown due to mismanagement during last month’s tour to the Caribbean. The federation apparently had to suffer huge loss of face due to Armando’s action.
The appointment of Dutchman Robert Baan as the technical director of the AIFF will also be discussed in the meeting. Baan has emerged as the frontrunner for the post.
- Wim Koevermans unveiled as new Indian football coach - Jun 15, 2012
- Rob Baan signs two-year deal with AIFF - Oct 12, 2011
- Spanish football manager Lillo watches Indian team practice - Jul 05, 2011
- Alberto Colaco nominates himself for AFC award? - Dec 01, 2010
- AIFF signs five-year deal with Pailan Group for Indian Arrows - Jun 15, 2011
- I-League clubs agree to release players for Caribbean tour - Aug 08, 2011
- Salgoacar's Bencherifa is I-League's best coach - Oct 18, 2011
- I-League: All roads lead to the Goan Derby - Jan 28, 2012
- AIFF censures Chettri for praising Houghton - Apr 20, 2011
- Kolkata and Pune firms in the race to own Indian Arrows - May 30, 2011
- I-League clubs refuse to release players for Caribbean, UK trip - Aug 09, 2011
- Pailan face resurgent Lajong in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Prayag United face Salgaocar in I-League - Feb 05, 2012
- AIFF-FIFA to set up academies in India - Sep 09, 2011
- Colaco game for beating UAE in World Cup qualifiers - May 20, 2011
Tags: aiff, arrows, baan, committee meeting, dutchman, executive committee, football federation, front runners, frontrunner, interim coach, karim, kushal das, mismanagement, moroccan, national coach, New Delhi, replacements, secretary general, sukhwinder singh, technical director