Sudirman Cup: India lose 2-3 to Chinese TaipeiMay 22nd, 2011 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) India lost 2-3 to Chinese Taipei in the Sudirman Cup mixed team badminton in Qingdao, China, Sunday.
Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap won their singles matches, but it was not enough. Chinese Taipei, with formidable doubles combinations, won all their three doubles matches to edge past India.
India are seeded 10th out of 12 teams in level 1 and are placed in group C with Thailand as the other team.
In the mixed doubles, Aparna Balan and Arun Vishnu lost to Sheng Mu Lee and Yu Chin Chie
17-21, 10-21. India could not field their top pair of Jwala Gutta and V.Diju in the category with the latter nursing an injury. It was a tough ask for Aparna and Vishnu, ranked 88, against the World No 15.
Kashyap, the top Indian in the men’s singles at 28, drew parity with a fine 21-16, 21-13 victory over Hsuan Yi Hsueh.
But Chinese Taipei’s men’s doubles pair of Sheng Mu Lee and Chieh Min Fang got back the lead with a 21-15, 21-18 victory over Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar.
World No.4 Saina Nehwal pulled back India with a fighting 21-10, 12-21, 21-17 victory over Tzu Ying Tai.
It was a tough task for Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa to upset World No.2 Wen Hsing Cheng
and Yu Chin Chien in the women’s doubles in the decider. The 32-ranked Indian pair, who won Comonwealth Games gold last year, lost 15-21, 17-21 in 23 minutes.
India will next take on Thailand.
- Asian Games: Indian men, women lose in badminton team event - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang shines on day one, Bindra, Rajput unlucky (Evening Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian shooters win silver, badminton teams lose (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Korea Open: Saina advances to quarters - Jan 05, 2012
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- Badminton Asia: Saina, Aditi in women's singles quarters (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- World Badminton: Saina, Jayaram advance, Kashyap out (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2011
- Saina, Jayaram in third round of world badminton (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Olympics: Saina, Kashyap surge ahead; Leander-Vishnu go down fighting (Overall Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina in third round of World Badminton - Aug 10, 2011
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Olympic badminton: Saina in pre-quarters, Jwala, Ashwini win (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Asian Games badminton: Jwala-Ashwini bow out in pre-quarters (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: arun, ashwini, balan, chinese taipei, comonwealth games, decider, gutta, hsueh, india india, indian pair, jwala, kashyap, kumar world, mixed doubles, parity, qingdao china, rupesh, saina nehwal, sudirman cup, vishnu