Sudha wins women’s steeplechase goldFebruary 29th, 2008 - 1:22 am ICT by admin
Bhopal, Feb 28 (IANS) Jharkhand’s Sudha Singh clocked 10:29.92 seconds in the women’s 3,000m steeplechase event to win the gold and set a meet record in the 14th Federation Cup Athletics championships here Thursday. Sudha, who has been dominating the women’s steeplechase since its inception two years back, however, fell short of her own national record of 10:18.76 sec.
But her effort was better than Santhi Soundarajan’s meet record of 10:44.76 secs set in 2006. Rajashree Patil of Maharashtra won the silver with a timing of 10:50.99 secs while another Jharkhand girl, Kamlesh Bhagel, won the bronze with 11:01.07 secs.
In men’s long jump, comeback man Maha Singh secured the gold with a distance of 7.57m. Returning after more than 18 months, Singh managed to clear the distance in his penultimate attempt. Pushpender Singh of Uttar Pradesh won the silver with 7.44m and Punjab Police’s Amrit Pal Singh bagged the bronze with 7.42m.
In women’s shot put, Seema Antil of CRPF won the gold with 14.17m, while the silver went to her teammate Saroj Sihag (13.64m) and the bronze to Patwant Kaur (12.64m).
National record holder in high jump Hari Shankar Roy of Jharkhand managed to clear 2.15m for his gold. Benedict Starley of Tamil Nadu (2.11m) won the silver and his state mate L. Yograj bagged the bronze with (2.08m).
According Nitin Arya, the system administrator of the Athletics Federation of India (AFI), Anju Bobby George will not participate in Friday’s event as her manager didn’t confirmed her entry in the confirmation form.
- Olympic athletics: Sudha Singh fails to impress - Aug 04, 2012
- Asian Games athletics: Sudha wins gold in 3000m steeplechase - Nov 21, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Help coming way of Indian athlete Santhi Soundarajan - Jul 25, 2012
- Asian Games athletics: Indian campaign starts with two golds, a silver (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games: Athletics make it a golden Sunday for India (Roundup) - Nov 21, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- A year to cherish for India's athletes (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Kavita Raut wins gold with record timing - Feb 21, 2011
- Steeplechase runner Sudha bags Olympic berth - Jun 08, 2012
- National Games: Gurumit Singh of Jharkhand wins gold in 20 km walk - Feb 17, 2011
- Are Indians good enough to take on the world? (Asian Games Review) - Nov 28, 2010
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
- Asian Games: Three gold medals lift India to eighth spot (Evening Roundup) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Ashwini, Abraham make it a golden double (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: 11m, 15m, amrit, anju bobby george, bhopal, confirmation form, federation cup, high jump, jharkhand, kaur, long jump, maha, maharashtra, punjab police, rajashree, santhi soundarajan, secs, shankar, starley, steeplechase