Suchde crashes out of Punj Lloyd Squash, Ghosal plays TuesdayDecember 12th, 2011 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) Indian wildcard Siddharth Suchde could not match the pace of World No.3 Gregory Gaultier of France to lose 4-11, 1-11, 6-11 in the opening round of the $165,000 Punj Lloyd PSA Squash Masters here Monday. England’s Tom Richards beat fancied Egyptian Hisham Mohamed Ashour in an absorbing affair.
The difference between the two players was most visible whenever they engaged in a rally. Suchde was forced to play the catch-up game throughout as Gaultier played a flawless match. The Indian lifted his game in the third set but it was not enough to challenge the Frenchman.
Suchde, ranked 55, later admitted that he was a lot slower than the former World No.1 in all departments of the game in the match lasting 46 minutes at the glass court of the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
“It is amazing how he did not let me play the way I do with opponents out of the top-10 bracket. I just could not match his pace. I gave everything in the third set thinking it is going to be my last match of the year but I was clearly outplayed,” said Suchde, who lost to Gaultier with identical score line in their first meeting in the Qatar Classic two months ago.
World No.21 Richards’ solidity got the better of Ashour’s brilliance in the earlier match, winning 14-12, 12-10, 11-6 in 35 minutes.
Thirteenth-ranked Ashour had his moments in the first two sets but missed out on crucial points to crash out of the competition.
India’s best player Saurav Ghosal takes on American Julian Illingworth in his first round match Tuesday.
First round results: Omar Mosaad (EGY) beat Chris Ryder (ENG) 3-1 (8-11, 11-3, 11-7, 11-9), Borja Golan (ESP) beat Adrian Grant (ENG) 3-0 (12-10, 11-6, 11-4), Mohammed El Shorbagy (EGY) beat Stephen Coppinger (RSA) 3-1 (11-7, 13-15, 11-6, 11-5), Laurens Jan Anjema (NED) beat Mohd Ali Anwar Reda (EGY) 3-0 (11-7, 11-6, 11-9), Tom Richards (ENG) beat Hisham Mohd Ashour (EGY) 3-0 (14-12, 12-10, 11-6), Gregory Gaultier (FRA) beat Siddharth Suchde (IND) 3-0 (11-4, 11-1, 11-6), Karim Darwish (EGY) beat Ryan Cuskelly (AUS) 3-0 (12-10, 11-5, 11-4).
- Ghosal enters pre-quarters of Punj Lloyd Squash - Dec 13, 2011
- Anaka, Joshna in last 8 of Chennai Open squash - May 23, 2012
- Ghosal lone Indian survivor in Chennai Open squash - Mar 04, 2010
- Ghosal makes last 4 at Kolkata squash meet - Apr 02, 2011
- Siddharth, Sandeep crash out of Punj Lloyd masters - Dec 14, 2010
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- Ghosal, Pallikal in title round of National Squash championship - Dec 09, 2011
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Nandrajog wins Coca-Cola Squash Open - Jul 29, 2012
- Punj Lloyd Squash: Egyptians Darwish, Shorbagy in quarters - Dec 14, 2011
- Asian TT: Indian men, women enter quarters - Feb 24, 2012
- Anaka, Joshna enter semis in Chennai Open - May 24, 2012
- Top seed Shweta in finals of table tennis meet - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: adrian grant, anwar, best player, chris ryder, coppinger, gaultier, ghosal, glass court, golan, hisham, illingworth, last match, mohamed ashour, punj lloyd, reda, score line, siddharth, siri, solidity, sports complex