Successful operation for Barcelona assistant coach VilanovaNovember 23rd, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Nov 23 (IANS) FC Barcelona informed that Tito Vilanova, the assistant to coach Pep Guardiola has undergone a successful operation on his parotid gland in the Barcelona Hospital del Vall d’Hebron.
The parotid gland is the largest of the salivary glands found in the head and are located just between the ear and the mandible, Xinhua reported.
The club, which has asked for Vilanova’s privacy to be respected, has issued a statement Tuesday, confirming that the five-hour emergency operation was been successful.
For the moment the club has not offered any further information, other to confirm that Vilanova will be able to return to his post in three or four weeks.
Vilanova was in the headlines earlier this season after he suffered an aggression from Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho at the end of the second leg of the Spanish Supercup. Mourinho walked up behind Vilanova and stuck his finger in his eye, an action which earned Mourinho a two-game suspension.
Last season Barcelona’s French international defender Eric Abidal missed several months after needing an emergency operation on a liver tumour, from which he has made a full recovery.
- Guardiola to quit at the end of season - Apr 27, 2012
- Jose Mourinho extends contract with Real Madrid - May 22, 2012
- Questions to answer as Barcelona entertain Valencia - Sep 01, 2012
- Questions to answer as Barca entertain Valencia - Sep 01, 2012
- Advantage Barca ahead of Copa del Rey return leg - Jan 24, 2012
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Guardiola to take sabbatical from football - Apr 27, 2012
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach - May 11, 2012
- Guardiola humbled by praise from colleagues - May 01, 2012
- Fabregas denies problems with new Barca coach - Sep 05, 2012
- Hope my two-game ban sets precedent: Vilanova - Sep 02, 2012
- Guardiola named 'best coach in the world' - Jan 07, 2012
- Barcelona's Affelay gets injured during training - Sep 23, 2011
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: aggression, assistant coach, emergency operation, eric abidal, fc barcelona, french international, game suspension, headlines, jose mourinho, liver tumour, mandible, parotid gland, pep guardiola, real madrid, salivary glands, spanish supercup, tito, vall, vilanova, xinhua