Subrata technical director, Prashanta coach of Mohun BaganOctober 19th, 2011 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 18 (IANS) Former India internationals Subrata Bhattacharyya and Prashanta Banerjee were Tuesday appointed technical director and coach respectively of city soccer giants Mohun Bagan for the 2011-12 season.
However, the duo would have to contend with a powerful three-member technical committee, whose appointment led to chief coach Stephen David derby’s resignation Saturday.
Bhattacharyya, an Arjuna Awardee, has coached Bagan earlier.
Banerjee, a celebrated medio of the 1970s and 1980s, holds an AFC “A” license in coaching besides being an AFC coaching instructor, club general secretary Anjan Mitra said.
Darby quit three days back protesting against the constitution of the three-member technical panel empowered to oversee soccer affairs.
The technical committee, led by former Indian football captain Chuni Goswami, has been mandated to watch the practice sessions and matches of the team and give its advice and recommendations to the management. It would also advise and recommend regarding recruitment and team building for the next season.
However, with Prashanta Banerjee - member of the original technical panel - now being inducted as coach, ex international Pradip Chowdhury has been included in the committee.
Bagan officials got cut up with Darby after the club put up a disastrous show in the Federation Cup - a tournament it has won 13 times - and made an exist from the group stage itself with defeats to rookies Royal Wahingdoh and Lajong.
There were efforts to remove Darby last month itself, but sponsors UB Group had then come in suppport of the coach.
But Bagan officials almost presented Darby with a fait accompli by setting up the panel.
With Darby now out of the way, the exact role of the panel will be keenly watched.
- Darby quits as coach of Mohun Bagan - Oct 15, 2011
- Bagan forms three-member panel to keep tab on Darby - Oct 10, 2011
- No plans to change coach for Fed Cup performance: Mohun Bagan - Sep 29, 2011
- Australian Darby appointed Mohun Bagan's chief football coach - Jul 19, 2011
- Soccer craze in Kolkata just like EPL, says Darby - Jul 26, 2011
- Royal Wahingdoh qualify for main phase of Federation Cup - Sep 13, 2011
- I-League: Lajong take on Chirag - Mar 23, 2012
- Mohun Bagan appoints Santosh Kashyap as coach - Jun 30, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- East Bengal have task cut out against Al Orouba - Mar 05, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Bengal to give funds to sport, youth clubs - Oct 09, 2011
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: anjan, awardee, banerjee, bhattacharyya, chief coach, chowdhury, city soccer, david derby, exact role, fait accompli, federation cup, football captain, goswami, group stage, indian football, internationals, mitra, mohun bagan, practice sessions, pradip