Suarez, Cavani in Uruguay Olympic teamJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Montevideo, July 10 (IANS) Liverpool star Luis Suarez and Napoli striker Edison Cavani have been included in the Uruguay Olympic soccer team for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The Games are the first time in 84 years the South American nation has qualified to compete for an Olympic soccer medal, reports Xinhua.
National team coach Oscar Tabarez said the 18 members included star forward Suarez, who is one of only three players older than 23 years old, according to local media sources. And the others are striker Edinson Cavani from Italian Seria A club Napoli and midfielder Egidio Arevalo from Italian club Palermo.
The Uruguayan Soccer Association (AUF) released the names of other key Olympic-bound players, including forward Abel Hernandez (Palermo, Italy) and midfielders Nicolas Lodeiro (AFC Ajax, Netherlands) and Gaston Ramirez (Bologna FC, Italy).
The lineup also features defenders Sebastian Coates (Liverpool FC, England) and Matias Aguirregaray (Palermo, Italy), as well as center midfielders Jonathan Urretaviscaya (Vitoria SC, Portugal) and Tabare Viudez (C. Nacional, Uruguay).
The four backup players, as called for by the International Olympic Committee, are goalkeeper Martin Rodriguez (Montevideo Wanderers FC, Uruguay), defenders Marcelo Silva (CA Penarol, Uruguay) and Alejandro Silva (CA Fenix, Uruguay) and Federico Pintos (Defensor Sporting, Uruguay).
Tabarez, who led Uruguay to victory in the 2011 American Cup, has been training for a week with a 25-member team at the Uruguay Celeste sports complex near the capital Montevideo.
Uruguay, who brought home gold medals from the Olympics in 1924 and 1928, sits in Group A along with Britain, Senegal and the United Arab Emirates in London Games, and will start the campaign on July 26.
Goalkeepers Martin Campana (Cerro Largo FC, Uruguay) and Leandro Gelpi (CA Penarol, Uruguay).
Defenders: Alexis Rolin (C. Nacional, Uruguay), Sebastian Coates (Liverpool FC, England), Diego Polenta (Genoa CFC, Italy), Ramon Arias (Defensor Sporting, Uruguay), Matias Aguirregaray (Palermo, Italy), Emiliano Albin (CA Penarol, Uruguay).
Midfielders: Egidio Arevalo Rios (Palermo, Italy), Diego Rodriguez (Defensor Sporting, Uruguay), Maximiliano Calzada (C. Nacional, Uruguay), Nicolas Lodeiro (AFC Ajax, Netherlands) and Gaston Ramirez (Bologna FC, Italy).
Forwards: Luis Suarez (Liverpool FC, England), Edison Cavani (SSC Napoli, Italy), Abel Hernandez (Palermo, Italy), Tabare Viudez (C. Nacional, Uruguay) and Jonathan Urretaviscaya (Vitoria SC, Portugal).
- No favourites at London Olympics: Uruguayan football coach - Jul 10, 2012
- Uruguay announces World Cup team - May 30, 2010
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- Uruguay announce squad for World Cup qualifiers - Aug 23, 2012
- France, Uruguay play goal-less draw (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Uruguay playmaker set for Botafogo debut - Aug 11, 2012
- Under fire, Suarez gets support from Uruguayan president - Feb 17, 2012
- Uruguay playmaker hoping to learn from Seedorf - Aug 08, 2012
- Seedorf set for Botafogo debut - Jul 20, 2012
- Forlan double sends South Africa close to World Cup exit - Jun 17, 2010
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- Germany take third place with 3-2 victory against Uruguay (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Yellow and red cards at World Cup - Jul 07, 2010
- Yellow and red cards at World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Yellow and red cards at World Cup - Jul 08, 2010
Tags: 2012 olympic games, afc ajax, alejandro silva, bologna fc, club napoli, defensor sporting, edison cavani, egidio arevalo, gold medals, international olympic committee, liverpool fc, london 2012 olympic games, montevideo uruguay, montevideo wanderers, nacional uruguay, national team coach, olympic soccer team, palermo italy, penarol uruguay, south american nation