Styris, Nathan McCullum likely to miss Napier ODI against AustraliaMarch 2nd, 2010 - 5:13 pm ICT by ANI
Napier, Mar 2(ANI): New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori has indicated that Scott Styris and Nathan McCullum may have to sit outside for the opening game of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy ODI series against Australia, starting in Napier on Wednesday.
Styris, who has been recalled for the series, has few chances of making it to the final eleven after Vettori said he and coach Mark Greatbatch wanted to retain the same batting lineup, which completed the 3-0 ODI series whitewash against Bangladesh last month.”It’ll be the same top six as last time that we played in the ODIs. Neil (Broom) did reasonably well in the last series and we want to keep giving him opportunities, and the same with James Franklin. They’ve got a chance to stamp their authority on this series,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Vettori, as saying.
Vettori said the venue might also count against offspinner McCullum, meaning a likely pace attack of Shane Bond, Tim Southee and Daryl Tuffey with backup from Franklin and Jacob Oram.
“It’s a difficult ground at times for spin bowlers so that balance with Nathan and the extra seamer, that’ll be the main talking point,” he said.
He further said that he expects the Napier track to be batsman friendly and tipped a runfest. “I don’t think there’s any surprises when you come to Napier, we know it’s going to be a high scoring game and in the end it’s the bowlers that turn up and bowl the best who can actually execute, particularly in the latter stages and the power play overs,” Vettori said.
New Zealand team: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brendon McCullum, Peter Ingram, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, Neil Broom, James Franklin, Jacob Oram, Daryl Tuffey, Tim Southee, Shane Bond, Scott Styris and Nathan McCullum. (ANI)
- Bond recalled for Twenty20s, ODI series against Australia - Feb 20, 2010
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Ryder named in New Zealand's preliminary squad for T20 World Cup - Mar 06, 2010
- Black Caps boost batting line-up for Napier ODI - Jan 31, 2011
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Taylor named New Zealand captain for Sri Lanka tri-series - Jun 27, 2010
- Australia opt to field against New Zealand - Feb 25, 2011
- New Zealand include new faces for Bangladesh series - Jan 25, 2010
- Black Caps pick uncapped Woodcock in World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
- South Africa decide to bat against New Zealand - May 07, 2010
- Kenya opt to bat against New Zealand - Feb 20, 2011
- India opt to field against New Zealand - Dec 01, 2010
- New Zealand face daunting task against Sri Lanka (Preview) - Mar 28, 2011
- Rob Nicol named in 'injury hit' New Zealand Twenty20 World Cup squad - Mar 31, 2010
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: bond tim, bowlers, brendon mccullum, chappell hadlee trophy, coach mark, daniel vettori, daryl tuffey, greatbatch, guptill, jacob oram, james franklin, latter stages, neil broom, odi series, odis, pace attack, peter ingram, ross taylor, scott styris, seamer