Struggling Newcastle name Kinnear caretaker managerSeptember 27th, 2008 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 27 (DPA) Newcastle United has named former Wimbledon manager Joe Kinnear as their caretaker manager.The 61-year-old, who also managed Luton Town, will be in charge only until the end of October after what was a shock appointment, coming hot on the heels of Terry Venables’ refusal to take the role on a short-term basis.
Kinnear will be reunited with Dennis Wise, the Newcastle executive director and his former Wimbledon midfielder.
He steps into the void created by the resignation of Kevin Keegan, who stood down earlier this month over his lack of control over transfer affairs, which were run by Wise.
“I am very excited by this challenge,” Kinnear said after his appointment Friday, having been out of the game since 2004.
“I am aware that the new owners have Kevin Keegan and possibly Alan Shearer parked around the corner. I understand investors are about to buy the club, (current owner) Mike Ashley told me openly. I will be here for six to eight games.”
Newcastle lie second from bottom in the English Premier League.
- Mike Ashley puts up Newcastle for sale - May 31, 2009
- Newcastle FC owner gambles away 970K quid at a casino - Jan 25, 2011
- Fans backlash keeping Newcastle boss away from St James Park - Sep 06, 2008
- Gascoigne regrets turning down Fergie's Man U offer earlier in his career - Mar 09, 2011
- Venables turned down Newcastle offer because it was short term - Sep 26, 2008
- Newcastle seals deal with Cisse - Jan 18, 2012
- Owner Ashley puts troubled Newcastle United up for sale - Sep 15, 2008
- Kinnear to stay as Newcastle manager for another month - Nov 23, 2008
- Only bad luck, bad play can ruin England's World Cup hopes: Ex-stars - Feb 23, 2010
- Newcastle owner apologises to fans - May 27, 2009
- Lara, Yorke lift Man United to celebrity title - May 29, 2012
- Terry says he was born to be a leader, looking forward to England-Wales clash - Mar 26, 2011
- Newcastle United complete Anita transfer - Aug 16, 2012
- Terry honoured to be part of 'Football Ambassadors for England 2018' squad - Oct 25, 2009
- Alan Shearer to be back in the box - Jul 29, 2009