Strong political backing helps PHF secretary Bajwa escape action over World Cup fiascoApril 23rd, 2010 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr.23 (ANI): Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary Asif Bajwa seems to have escaped action over his alleged violation of code of conduct, as Sports Minister Aijaz Jakhrani has said that action against him would only be taken after he is found guilty.
Jakhrani said he is unable to take action against the PHF secretary unless charges against him are proved.
“After considering all the aspects during a meeting with other Ministry officials, I came to the conclusion that the government cannot take action against PHF secretary merely on the team’s poor performance,” The News quoted Jakhrani, as saying.
Bajwa was blamed for Pakistan’s humiliating last place finish in last month’s Hockey World Cup in New Delhi, and demands for his removal were raised from all circles, however, insiders said that Bajwa’s strong political backing saved him from any action.
According to the sources, a Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader and a Member of the National Assembly (MNA) from Sialkot influenced the Sports Ministry’s decision and asked it to give Bajwa a ‘new lease of life’.
“That particular MNA requested the decision makers to spare him,” sources said.
- Pakistan's hockey legends want PHF secretary sacked - Apr 14, 2010
- PML-N decides to remove PPP ministers from Pak Punjab govt - Feb 23, 2011
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- PML-N hints at legal action against MQM members for "bad-mouthing" its leadership - Jan 02, 2011
- PML-N all set to dump PPP in Punjab over 10-point reforms agenda - Feb 21, 2011
- PHF to discuss Indo-Pak hockey series revival with Malik today - Apr 19, 2011
- Gilani bars sports minister from visiting India for Hockey World Cup - Mar 01, 2010
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- No green signal for Indian hockey team's tour to Pakistan - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan hopes to revive hockey ties with India - Apr 19, 2011
- Pak lawmakers blame 'lapse of security' for Bhatti's assassination - Mar 04, 2011
- PHF patron Malik to work for Indo-Pak hockey series resumption - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan to host international hockey league in Dubai - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: aijaz, asif, code of conduct, decision makers, fiasco, hockey federation, hockey world cup, insiders, ministry officials, mna, national assembly, New Delhi, new lease, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, phf, pml n, poor performance, sialkot, sports ministry